3D Model Design Tips

Discussion in 'Digital Design and Fabrication' started by jcollins, May 18, 2017.

1. jcollins

jcollins Active Member

I recently learned some very helpful tips that I thought I would share since they made such an impact for me.

1. Make your design with your printer’s limitations in mind. If your nozzle is 0.4 mm, the smallest circle or mast you can make is 0.8 mm. If you try to print something smaller it will be lost or ignored because the printer cannot print it. On the same note; make your wall thicknesses based on multiples of your nozzle size. If you want to make a 1 mm wall and your nozzle is 0.4 mm, it will go around the perimeter and then try to in fill the remaining 0.2 mm. If you made it 0.8 mm or 1.2 mm; it will print faster and you really can’t see the difference between 0.8 mm and 1 mm.

2. Orientation… it may be better to print something upside down, on its side or cut it into pieces to avoid using support material. Support material adds time and material to your print. Also think about the stress that will be applied to the piece. You want the stress to be applied across the long layer, if it is applied with the layer, it will most likely split or crack between the layers. An example would be a “C” clip, if you print it laying down it will be stronger than if you printed it on its edge.

3. The 45 degree rule. Avoid angles greater than 45 degrees of overhang or you will have to add support material. If you have to use support material, it might be better to make you own. A simple cone or tower may be all you need.

Finally; Fit tolerance. If you have parts that will fit together like a pin in a hole; make the hole a bit bigger so you don’t have to drill it out for assembly. You can print a small test print with different holes to find the best fit for you needs. This method also works for adding other materials to the print like brass tubes or dowel pins.

I hope these tips help you as much as they have helped me.

Good luck and happy modeling!

Anachronus, ish311, Xanthar and 2 others like this.