3dp compression nut 1.0

A 3d-printable compression nut, for use in female-threaded cannons

1. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Kotori87 submitted a new resource:

3dp compression nut - A 3d-printable compression nut, for use in female-threaded cannons

Read more about this resource...

2. Prussian

Prussian Member

Kotori87, as I recall, at NAYS your barrels came straight out from the female threads. Is this the method used there? Also, I need the barrel you use.
    Also, at NATS, I gave you my card with my contact information. It would be much easier to use direct contact instead of going through the forum.

3. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Yes, this nut is printed separately from the rest of the cannon, and then acetone-welded in place afterwards. For FDM printers, it is important to orient the threads vertically so the printer can print them accurately. Since my cannon design has three different threads at two different angles, one had to be added separately. I like the female-threaded cannon style because it is much more rigid than using a male thread and nut. This extra stiffness is why I can operate without permanently affixed barrel braces, a necessity for a pivoting cannon.
    As for barrels, I bought a bunch of BC stainless steel barrels a few years ago. IIRC you can get the same material from McMaster Carr, you just have to cut and safety pin it yourself. The threads are cut from a 1/4 compression male-to-male fitting, then attached with solder or red loctite. The hard part is ensuring the male thread and barrel are perfectly co-axial. If they are off by even a little bit, the barrel will wobble as you tweak, changing your range from day to day. Not a big deal for sidemounts, but can be an issue for sterns. I ultimately made a jig to ensure proper alignment.

I've been going nuts trying to pack up my entire workshop in preparation for my move. Haven't really had much time to think about much else. Is direct email ok, or would you prefer to talk by phone?

4. Prussian

Prussian Member

My appologies for this late reply. Let's use direct e-mail and use the phone for detail questions & clarifications.