(3DP) Damage tolerance

Discussion in 'Digital Design and Fabrication' started by rcengr, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Xanthar

Xanthar Well-Known Member

Yes. Either that or figure out how to duplicate the effect of those cannons. From what I've been reading, chronometers are the best way to measure this but, I like the 2" foam test. I think rcengr reported that the bb's going 185 -195 fps pass the foam test? I'm assuming that was with the muzzle 1 foot away from the foam. It seems like fastgun speeds may be more like 220 fps though. Has anyone one done the math to determine how quickly a bb slows down in air? I'd love to know how far away a Red Ryder (280-300 fps?) should be to simulate a fastgun cannon.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  2. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

It should be on the shelf, and you should use a FG cannon to simulate a FG cannon :D

Xanthar and Tugboat like this.
  3. Xanthar

LOL! Yes but, I'd like something repeatable and fastgun cannons are supposed to be installed in ships : P

4. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

I have body parts I am willing to ship for science. Whom do I ship them to?

5. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Bob would have to chime in on this.. Oh Bob!!! OoooOOoooOOh BoOOOoOOOooOB!!! But I think the stronger guns were running 230 and up.. not sure though. Also keep in mind many measurements if not all were done with paintball chronos.. not sure how accurate that is when its looking for largers spheres...

6. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

I've tested a lot of guns with lots of versions styles. Guns with a poor tweak and or set up shot in the 180s.
    The average gun hits the 200-220 range.
    I've seen a the good guns make it to 250-260 with a fast firing battle tweak.
    You can get more speed with a hanging tweak that isn't really usable in battle and get near 300.
    The scale is exponential so going from 180 to 200 is easy but 220 to 240 is not.
    I don't think you can top 300 with the correct pressure.

7. Xanthar

I kinda dropped the ball on this a while back : ( The parts never made it to jadfer so, that testing didn't happen...
    We've got better filaments to try now, and in hindsight, printing a big chunk of a super structure is a PITA. I never made more than 2.
    Since I'm working on parts for a Kongo now, that got me thinking about this again. I've come up with a test target that is small and easy to print that I think will still be big enough to train triples on.
    Is anyone interested in shooting things for science?

PS. I've uploaded an stl file to the resources section.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  8. Xanthar

Ming put a couple of these under the guns of his Musashi today.
    They split at the point where they were rigidly attached to a chunk of wood.
    That may not be representative of how these parts get used on a ship (mounted with magnets, etc.)
    but, the actual impacts didn't do much damage. Just dented.
    These were printed in 3D870 from Keene Village Plastics at 220C, 0.2mm layers, 6 perimeters, and 50% infill with a 0.4mm nozzle
    DTT1.jpg DTT2.jpg

UPDATE: It turns out that these split at the stress riser caused where Slic3r decided the area was too small and changed to 100% infill. To print these more accurately, that threshold should be turned down.
    In Slic3r that was 70mm squared, by default. Setting that to 0 forced the infill to be consistent.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  9. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

I heard you can bake the parts after printing to harden them. Doing more research.

10. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

Printed parts aren't monolithic and fracture at the layers.

Molded parts are monolithic and impact is less damaging to the part.

bsgkid117 and Beaver like this.
  11. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

You can anneal natureworks 3D870 , and some other PLA blends, but you will have a very difficult time maintaining dimensional control, sharp edges, and flat planes

12. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

Ah. As said I was still looking at the process. Glad to know it isn't new. Thanks.

13. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

Even acetone vapor smoothing ABS does minimal to actually help layer separation under an impact.

I invite anyone interested to please check out a YouTuber called CNC Kitchen, he does a lot of tests on stuff like this in a nice controlled way. His results have been very on par with my own real world experiences.

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  14. Xanthar

Been there done that. He's not shooting them with 300fps BBs. Very different.
    If anyone is actually interested, print out the parts and shoot them.

15. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

I've been shooting them with 220~fps BBs for about 3 years now. Thought you wanted real world results. I have 5 battlers all using my 3d printed parts in various materials.

I'll do a complete analysis with your targets, 3x3 grid of targets, each at a different extrusion width and layer height .2, .4, and .6 line widths .4, .8, and 1.2.

Xanthar likes this.
  16. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Been there, done that.
    Built a ship.
    Printed the SS.
    Battled it and had hella fun.
    Assessed 3dp damage.
    Is there honestly a better way of doing it?
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

rcaircraftnut and bsgkid117 like this.
  17. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

Exactly. I figured having 3 years of 3d printed ships under my belt with a total of 9 active ships out in the wild would give my feedback some weight but apparently it doesn't matter on the internet.

18. Xanthar

Thank You. I'm uploading a new STL file with larger holes and some more generous fillets.

bsgkid117 likes this.
  19. Xanthar

I'm sorry but, anecdotal evidence isn't a replacement for actual testing.

20. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

Just saying, but if you had an actual finished ship you could do what I'm going to do today and print the targets and shoot them yourself.