(3DP) Damage tolerance

Discussion in 'Digital Design and Fabrication' started by rcengr, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Xanthar

Xanthar Well-Known Member

I've been to a few battles and I have several ships. I learned what I needed to know about how they are used, I'm concentrating on making things, and I choose to be more analytical about my approach to testing parts. That seems to bother some people here but, they will just have to get over it.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    Anvil_x and rcaircraftnut like this.
  2. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

Doing the same thing over and over but expecting a different result is ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I would print a part in 3d and then MOLD the combat part out of 3d printed parts, like doors and hatches and ventilators. Keep the plug and make several at one time with a urethane plastic, quick and cheap.

3. thegeek

Nah, sounds like Dunning Kruger syndrome

jch72, pacific, Anvil_x and 2 others like this.
  4. Xanthar

Wow, Carl! You were a lot less insulting, yesterday, when you wanted my help with some 3D printed files that you couldn't convert.
    I've emailed you those because I said that I would. I hope you haven't overestimated your own abilities and I wish you luck with your toilet paper tubes and cereal boxes!

And, just to be clear : You do *NOT* have my permission to make molds of any of the parts for the Kongo superstructure that I gave you yesterday.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  5. thegeek

No prblem found a better turret! 603565078.jpg

Beaver likes this.
  6. Nibbles1

Nibbles1 Well-Known Member

Hi, just saw this thread. WWCC has some little transports that were from World of Warships.
    . These are entirely 3D printed. However, when we ran some at Minden, they got beat up. After all, it hurts to get broadsided by 1/4” bbs. So we experimented with more rubbery stuff. It was hard to take out the infill stuff, but possible. These have not been tested btw. @BigGunJeff will know more.

Anvil_x likes this.
  7. Xanthar

Ah... I see it's "better" because you're duplicating someone else's hard work and also because you are cheating by increasing the height even after you mouthed off about how you can make your cannons fit in the scale one?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  8. thegeek

Bought a kit from Japan, and built it and will mold it. Not like steeling it is called purchase. And if the knew how to mold stuff your statements would reflect that knowledge.

You clay the botom to get a proper mold of the whole thing.

9. Xanthar

When I get around to molding things, they will be parts that I've built, not stealing other people's work.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  10. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

Wow, good to know, thanks for sharing. so are you making the ribs thicker when you're replacing them with more absorbent material? Without hands-on the materials, I'd hazard to suggest that a combination of a thicker rib (not wider, mind you ) with a more resilient/bouncy/pliable resin may give the ribs some shock absorption properties.

11. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Cheating and stealing is pretty strong language where I come from. Strong language brings on big consequences.
    I wouldn't call what Carl is doing stealing and he definitely isn't cheating. You haven't even seen the final part? This is why I place a LOT more weight on advice from the battle veterans than I do keyboard enthusiasts. :rolleyes:

12. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

For real dude. You totally freehanded the parts for your Kongo, or did you model it off of some plans? I guess you're stealing it from the Vickers shipyard? Please. You are too fun to watch as you type this all out. Can't argue with you tonight, busy actually prepping for a battle in 3 days.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Oh btw, unless you had @thegeek agree to a license when you provided him with parts of your own free will, he can do whatever he damn well pleases.

jadfer, rcaircraftnut and Beaver like this.
  13. Nibbles1

Nibbles1 Well-Known Member

We are using more absorbent material, in this case rubbery stuff. The ribs are already decently thick. Our main concern is the superstructure.

rcaircraftnut and Anvil_x like this.
  14. hullbuster

hullbuster Member

You need to stop accusing people of stealing. Especially since you walk around acting like Joe combat in a borrowed boat!

bsgkid117 and Beaver like this.
  15. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

And all that drama is one reason why we have so few of us in this hobby. Now that that's out of the way.
    I am looking to print as much of the super for the 1/96th scale PE and have no idea how to do cad stuff. Idea is to make it as realistic as possible while being reasonably fast to reproduce. I want to be able to take her out for demo runs to hopefully get some local interest going.

16. Xanthar

LOL! I've never claimed to be "Joe Combat." Quite the opposite, really. I couldn't care less about the whole bb gun thing or the people who constantly say I need to build a combat ship. I just like building ship models and 3D printing the parts for them. I guess there's no room for people who just make things here? Oh, well.

17. wdodge0912

wdodge0912 Well-Known Member

^^^^^ This

18. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

And all that drama caused by one internet typist who knows nothing about our hobby trying to tell experienced builders and battlers how they should do things and then telling them they don't know what they're talking about when they provide answers to questions.

In this hobby, put your money where your mouth is. Until you show up with a boat you built, you don't get to tell people who have been doing this for years that they're wrong.

@rcaircraftnut I was thinking of doing a little guide video to making stuff in fusion 360, would you be interested in that? I could go over how to model something like a turret with decent detail, from there you'd have the knowledge you'd just have to apply it to a larger piece.

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  19. wdodge0912

wdodge0912 Well-Known Member

But the ability to disagree seems lacking in this hobby.

And that's a good point about showing up with a boat. Why entertain it when you can wait for them to show up with a boat, and then school them on the water? Lots on this thread that to me is very childish.

Seems everyone would rather be typing than showing.

I'm not on either side of this arguement. I'm just saying the lack of being able to disagree and move on in this hobby is abysmal, and does push people away. And that's on both sides as well. I even see veterans leaving or have left the hobby due to this.

Why cant it be "here's my thoughts in this, but you do you" and it be the end of it. Name calling and such nets 0 improvements to the topics being discussed. The elitist attitude as well.

Cant we all just get along?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  20. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

I agree with all points 100% on the inability to "just get along". However I myself am guilty of much the same behavior on more than one occasion. I am by no means perfect. I have only one dog in this fight. That dog is called "public perception" so I will not say anything about who is wrong, right,or indifferent. Just that it is of no help to any of us. The buthurt seems strong these days with most all of us. I come here to escape the buthurt of daily reality. I could really do without the buthurt of whatever it is bleeding over into my escape world.

wdodge0912 likes this.