3DP Line Block for fast gun triples [Deleted]

Discussion in '3d Printer Part File Discussion' started by Xanthar, Aug 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xanthar

Xanthar Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2017
  2. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

What's the spacing on the barrels?

3. Nate G

Nate G Well-Known Member

OK. nice.
    to play "devil's advocate" - I can make that out of a hardwood like maple or cherry, a strip of polycarbonate, or even aluminum stock using a vice and drill press in about 15 minutes. how long does it take to 3Dprint?

4. Nate G

Nate G Well-Known Member

oh yeah. how long does it take to write the code. I have no idea of how to do that

5. Beaver

Took about 3o seconds to generate the code. About 30min to print.

NickMyers and Xanthar like this.
  6. Xanthar

I'm kind of late on this answer but, the horizontal spacing in the STL file is 15mm. Vertical is 6mm. It's easily changed. I'm surprised it took 30 seconds to slice. @Beaver: What settings did you use? @Nate G: The OpenSCAD code that generates the geometry is pretty simple. That took about 3 minutes to write originally but, I spent another 5-10 minutes making it easy to change the dimensions. I tend to setup a print and then go work on something else while it's printing so, the time it takes isn't a "cost" and makes 3DP much more attractive from a "time is money" standpoint : ) Your hardwood line block will no doubt be much nicer looking but, the 3DP one is cheap and spares or different variations can be made with little to no effort.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    NickMyers likes this.
  7. Beaver

30 seconds was just an estimate. Went and actually sliced the file and it took 9 seconds. :)

8. Nate G

Nate G Well-Known Member

great. I am about to start learning about this stuff. just comparing. I take longer to think things over I am sure

9. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

In a small amount of time I can fabricate many DURABLE items from Aluminum, vise, hack saw, drill press, and lathe. Not too high tech but they work in a model warship, on the other side I see a "time toilet" in a 3D printer. I spend way too much time just "staring" at a project, and need very little additional
    motovation to stare at a computer screen and get nothing done. Just my observations.

10. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

Keep up the good work, Xanthar!

As with any new tech, some people will embrace it and others reject it. But I think 3D printing can add a lot to this hobby.

11. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Its not for everyone.
    I get less shoptime than time in front of a workstation, so I can easily spend the time in a CAD program.
    Everyone has to choose how to spend their time and for each of us that will differ. We all have different skills, resources, life situations, etc.

12. Xanthar

This resource has been removed and is no longer available for download.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.