[3DP] Rostock printer

Discussion in 'Digital Design and Fabrication' started by Tugboat, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Jean Valjean

Jean Valjean Active Member

I'm currently building a Rostock Mini!

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Very cool! I'm assembling the arms that go from the carriages to the platform, and printing a new mount that I need because I'm using the E3D hotend and not the J-head. Also waiting on a 500W ATX power supply to arrive so that I can hack it to provide 38A of power for the printer. The little 20A that I use with my Mendel is not hacking it... bed temp drops during a print and that's causing lifting issues in mid-print. So go with a bigger PS than you think you need! : )

3. Jean Valjean

Was the J-head not good enough? I was considering getting a different hotend myself because mine is from 3d Printer Czar, and I read the J-heads they make are 'sub-par'...

4. Tugboat

I want my Rostock to be able to print in nylon; The J-head cannot safely sustain the temperatures necessary. It is entirely capable of printing in ABS and is a good hotend for that purpose. Especially at less than half the cost. Assembled J-heads are easy to come by and cheap.

5. Jean Valjean

Nylon?! Consider me impressed! Although after reading about printing in nylon, it sounds like quite a bit of work!

6. Tugboat

It's not so bad, and doesn't require a heated printbed. The 3rd printer that I'm building, codenamed Pipedream, will be running a J-head, as the goal is to keep the total price under $200, with a heated bed and printing ABS.

7. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

FYI, I got an 8"x8" heated bed from Hobby King. It's cheap and its been running fine for a week now.

8. Tugboat

Yeah, I got my RAMPS 1.4, the separate controller LCS assembly, and my heated bed (including glass plate, aluminum plate, and the temp sensor) from AliExpress cheap and good :) Hong Kong is getting my money on such things. They also sell the J-head assembled and ready to plug in for like $40 plus shipping (which in some cases is free).

Pipe Dream (at least the proof of concept one) will not use an 8x8 heated bed due to being made from 6" ID PVC pipe. If it plays nice with PLA, then I will pony up the money and the design time to make the full-on version with 12" ID PVC pipe. It only comes out to like $2 per foot, but you have to buy 20 feet at a time (not very easy to move or store, I would chop it into several pieces at the store).

9. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Time for an update, Tug :)

10. Tugboat

As people may or may not know, Tug has been having more chest pain drama. This is annoying because it's scary, but good because I'm forbidden to go to the shop and hence must work on the printer :) The wiring is getting done today (at least the wiring that'll let me move the carriages up and down), and the carbon-fiber rods have been mated with their Traxxas ball joints for smooth, precise control. So, Rostock will be moving soon. Sooner than Tug's normal 'soon', at that.

11. Tugboat

Allrightythen! Being more frustrated than I like to be with my Ormerod2, and with my wife not letting me out of the house... I finally managed to straighten out the errors I was seeing when programming the RAMPS board for the Rostock! Hooray! It turned out that I was missing some dependencies... <sigh> silly reason to be held up, but now it's resolved (once I found out which ones I was missing, and then found them online and downloaded them, and then uploaded the whole mess to the RAMPS board.