6 VDC vs 12 VDC?

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by Jay Jennings, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

Hi all,

What does everyone think the Pros v Cons are for both voltages.

It was suggested to me that I should try 12 V, but I don't know of any advantages other that battery duration that would improve. Everything I have is 6 V but it is all usable in a 12 V system.

I didn't see a thread with this comparison and I am curious,

Thanks,

J

2. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

12 volts. Kind of why Europe runs 220 and in the states 117. I owned a 6 volt vw once and that was a wonderful lesson.

3. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Or run 10 v. I running 3 of the LifeP04 in series, gives right around 10 volts. The early brushless controllers did not like 6v much, had a habit of losing sync with the receiver.

4. Jay Jennings

Thanks Ming and DJ,

But what are the advantages? Why increase from 6? and should I? This is what I am trying to determine.

J

5. thegeek

Higher headroom. Less amps for the same watts . tons of reasons.

6. thegeek

You can run a full sortie with two lipofe batteries 4200 ma 4 cells (14 volts) . recharge from your car and battle the whole day on 4 batteries.

7. Litch42f

Litch42f Well-Known Member

Higher rpm for your bilge pump

8. Jay Jennings

OK, that is what I am looking for. I gotta say I am a bit surprised it makes such a difference, but I have only ever used 6V 12Ah SLA so I have nothing to compare it to.
    What does 12 V do to a stinger motor driven pump? It doesn't drain the pond does it? cause that would kinda be crappy ;)

Thanks again,

J

9. ZARUBA1987

ZARUBA1987 Well-Known Member

Personally something I like about 12v. is the fast acting 12v gun solinoids. They are cheap found them on eBay for less then 5.00$$$. Yes they are made in China but they get the job done. As for the stinger pump motor I bought one for testing 20$. I paired it with a BC pump housing ran it at 12v long story short it didn’t make it. Did it pump oh ya but The stinger couldn’t hang . I believe money well spent is on the Johnson’s 550 cheap and effective at 12v and you can have a few spares for what one stinger cost

10. WillCover

WillCover -->> C T D <<--

I hope you pressure tested these well...at 150 psi...I have found most of these from ebay may work a couple of times then they leak or stick.

11. ZARUBA1987

ZARUBA1987 Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Sometimes you get whatl you pay for. So far I haven’t had a problem when testing they cycle as they should

12. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t be confident about the lifespan of a Johnson 600 on 12V, I toasted some pretty quickly. There are several mabuchi variants that are good at 12v, believe rpm is 16 - 19k range no load