7th Annual NABGO pre opening update

Discussion in 'General' started by wrenow, Jul 2, 2011.

1. wrenow

wrenow RIP

A Pre-Opening Update on the 7th annual North American Big Gun Open (yes, for you Small/Fast gun ad Treaty guys out there , it is an Open competetition, so you can come and play under BGCWI rules, and there are even a few rules concessions to help you out and beat us in our own format).
    The NABGO menu has been completed/revised (mainly the brunches from last year have become breakfasts and separate lunches which were 'TBA" before) and I hope to get the revised preliminary schedule up on the site either later today or tomorrow. I will post when it is up, of course. Remember the preliminary schedule is on the www.nabgo.org web site, under event information, along with entry forms, releases, etc.
    We have gotten approval from the Fire Marshal for the fireworks show on July 4th, in spite of the local burn ban, and the equipment/supplies are in. We are trying some new techniques this year and so it will be an experimental show (hey, it works on the bench so what could go wrong in the field...?) [​IMG]
    Also added to the schedule is a performance by the "Acoustic Sound Houndshttp://www.acousticsoundhounds.com/>"
    on Wednesday during the cocktail hour, who will also be joining us for dinner so you can visit with them. They tend toward bluegrass, and are a fun group (I have seen them perform a couple of times, and thoroughly enjoyed them. I hope you will too.). Good folks.
    The Blessing of the Fleet is tentatively set for Thursday evening, but we can adjust that somewhat. Fr. Petrash has a new aspergillum (sprinkler) in hand for the ceremony (yes, pun intended).
    We now have plans for keeping the CO2 temps down so gassing up should not be an issue even if the temps are high. There is also planned cooling for the boathouse in progress.
    The primary ship lift system has been re-worked and tested, and the ship basin has been cleaned of muck and debris. Additional material has been added to the left of the steel dock, so getting around to the paved sidewalk should be easier. Holes have been filled and maintained.
    A warning about the Japanese fighters in the area, however. Construction crews have indicated swarms of the little buggers harassing them.
    Proper antiaircraft measures (deep-woods OFF or univalent armor or aircraft deterrent) are recommended in addition to sunscreen.
    Looks like we are pretty much "good to go."

Additions as of today:

• The shipyard has been made ready (and, if fact is partially occupied - see more later),
    • The ship basin has been dredged, and the dredging crew has tales to tell about things found down in the muck (including lots of spent ammunition).
    • New berthing shoreline has been added and additional access to the West Bank,
    • A phalanx system has been procured for those pesky fighters (te bug zapper is supposed to be mounted over one of the slips to provide tasty toasted treats to the perch and bass)
    • A 2 stage cooling system has been put in place for the CO2 supply, and .... most importantly
    The CBG has arrived early form the MD/VA area to set up in the shipyard and rest a bit before NABGO officially starts on Monday. It is really good to see our friends and fellow captains from the East Coast again. They are already set up in the shipyard. Although berthing space in the dockyard has been rearranged, you should be able to find your favorite berth without difficulty (mine is the one that got moved). This year they arrived in a van with a small trailer for the excess stuff. Seems to have worked out well for them.
    Several captains report that they are looking forward to some serious shipyard time to get some of those pending projects/reworks done and tested prior to commencement of official hostilities. I know for a fact I need the time on several ships (Titanic still needs her rudder repaired and a pump installed - Greene needs to learn how to turn to Port when commanded [I think I have the solution], Dunk needs some balsa replacement in the bow, etc.).
    Other captains are expected tomorrow and more on Monday. One has mentioned he may experiment with aerial reconnaissance/filming depending on weather conditions - if so, we will let you know.
    If you know what balsa you will be needing for NABGO, let me know, as I plan on calling Lone Star Balsa on Tuesday to set up a pick-up for anything we do not have already in stock.
    We hope to see you here.
    Cheers,