A little love for Pre-Dreadnaughts?

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by nzimmers, Apr 16, 2019.

1. nzimmers

nzimmers Active Member

I've been cruising the ship lists for Queen's Own, IRCWCC, and Treaty for Pre-Dreadnaughts and noticed the lists are rather sparse and missing some pretty interesting and historic ships (Russian Borodino and Tsarvarich, US Brooklyn & Oregon, French Messena, and so many other battleships and cruisers (and torpedo boat destroyers).

The Treaty list I was looking at has about 36 Pre-Dreadnaughts but that's a relatively short and at 144/th scale (which works great for WWII size boats) most pre-dreadnaughts would come under 3ft and forget about destroyers or monitors at that scale.

1/96th scale would be a sweet spot for Pre-Dreadnaughts with most ships coming in between 3.5-5.5 ft

Anyone have a favorite Pre-dreadnaught?

Attached Files:

2. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

Mine would probably be the Brandenburg class, I think the only pre-dreadnought with three main turrets.

A63411E0-B71B-4991-BE19-0D73DA80BBBC.jpeg

3. wfirebaugh

wfirebaugh Well-Known Member

USS Texas 1892 Pre Dreadnought

4. nzimmers

nzimmers Active Member

The Brandenburg is pretty unique! Really hard to fine a good photograph with all 3 turrets clearly visible too. img_73[1].jpg

Attached Files:

5. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

There's a place on my shelf for the Borodino class. It's just about the most Russian thing ever. Those graceful French lines, utterly wrecked by questionable Russian engineering, makes for a particularly strange craft, even for predreadnoughts. Unfortunately it is just outside the time period for Fast Gun :(

6. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

Not really getting how the Brandenburg traversed. is there a cut in one of the superstructure components that allowed it to move across the deck to get from the port to starboard firing arcs?

7. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

The middle turret had shorter barrels to allow it to traverse from side to side, clearing the superstructure.

8. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

cool. surprised she didn't make as big of a splash with that extra turret when she was built fifteen years before Dreadnought. a 50% increase in volley weight over a 4 gun platform, one would assume, would have led to a continuation of such practices. But I guess the Kaiserliche Marine had a reason. perhaps the same trouble with steam lines running around the barbettes as with the five turret capital ships?

9. yamato74

yamato74 Member

The shorter guns on the center turret had different ballistics than the other four. They haven't figured out yet how to build a ship with more than 2 turrets without making it so much larger so the idea was dropped as deemed impractical, as the three turrets in the Brandenburgs had to do each their own ranging as explained above. Also look it up a youtube channel called Drachinifel he does very good 5 minute guides to many ships, he covered the story of these three as well.

Anvil_x, Beaver and Logan Gyre like this.
  10. nzimmers

nzimmers Active Member

I think I could probably model the Borodino - it's a complex hull - almost like they mashed together several different hulls and didn't really mate them with any particular method.

will have to tinker with this for awhile...

Borodino test.png

11. Kotori87

I made a nice model of the Borodino's hull in DelftShip, I just couldn't figure out how to transfer that into Fusion 360 so I could actually turn it into useful parts. Every attempt I made failed for various reasons.

12. nzimmers

nzimmers Active Member

Thought Iā€™d share a link - finally got that USS Maine in the water (and filled with water bottles but still not Down to the proper water line):
    View: https://youtu.be/7Fq1uWIHWbI

wfirebaugh, Beaver, Xanthar and 2 others like this.
  13. Xanthar

Xanthar Well-Known Member

She seems a little too fast but, looks damned nice : P

14. Xanthar

Xanthar Well-Known Member

I've had good luck exporting models from DelftShip. I'd be happy to give it a try.

15. Caractacus Patt

Caractacus Patt Member

I've always admired the brutal ungainliness of the HMS Colossus (1882):

HMS Colossus 1882.png

Funny thing is, when the next Colossus was built (the 1910 dreadnought), it sported a similar superstructure:

HMS Colossus 1910.png

16. Kotori87

Hey Xanthar, I uploaded my Borodino files to the Resources section of the website. Can you see if you're able to get working in Fusion360?

Xanthar likes this.
  17. darkapollo

darkapollo Well-Known Member

Fun discussion!

my favorite would be the Virginia Class with their doofy double turrets. 12ā€ on the bottom, 8ā€ on the top and neither worked right. Cool idea though!
    If I ever build another allied ship, that might be it.

Anvil_x likes this.
  18. Paul G.

Paul G. New Member

Some nice lines on that old ship.