A New Chapter

Discussion in 'Site Announcements' started by JustinScott, Apr 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

It is no secret that I’ve not been as active recently as I once was. This has been caused by many things changing in my life, getting married, building a house, and new work responsibilities. Throughout these changes I’ve wished I could do more for our community and for the members of this forum in particular, but could feel my participation and attention slipping away. I’ve feared the day when the site would ‘go dark’ and I wouldn’t have the time or the foresight to correct it.
    I have recognized that this community needs more than what I can provide at this time, so nearly a month ago I made the decision to transfer the ownership of R/C Naval Combat. I considered many people for the honor of carrying the torch, but my first choice was Keri and Stephen Morgret.
    Keri and Stephen, as we all know, are strong supporters of the community and this site (albeit behind the scenes) and undeniable technical gurus. Keri has worked with me many times in the past to provide the quality of experience we enjoy on RCNC. They also have a strong background in promoting website growth (Search Engine Optimization); so I anticipate a lot of new visibility to this site and therefore (hopefully) more boats on the water.
    As part of the negotiations, Keri and Stephen made it clear they do not want to make “big waves [to the] appearance of the site nor the style in which it is run”. RCNC is to remain a community site and faithful to enhancing the hobby as a whole. Both of our moderators, Greg McFadden and Tugboat, are excited to remain at their posts. As for me, I will maintain a “founder’s role” in which I will help Keri and Stephen as serious problems arise but for the most part enjoy my retirement (from being a webmaster). I am mostly looking forward to spending less time working on the site, and more time yapping on the site.
    Justin Scott
    Creator, http://www.rcnavalcombat.com

2. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

Thanks Justin. Stephen and I are looking forward to helping the RCNC community and hobby in general to grow. As Justin said, we're not going to make sweeping changes to the site. We will add a link on RCNC to Strike Models, but everyone is still welcome to list their ships for sale, and Battlers Connection (and any other vendor) is free to come in and make an occasional product announcement and answer questions and all of that.

I recently left my day job to devote more time to Strike Models and to independent contracting, and now to spending more time being active on the site (and freeing up Stephen to spend more time designing products and filling orders).

We're working with Justin to upgrade to the latest version of forum software, which should fix the avatars and add a couple of other features. You'll see an announcement when we get closer to the upgrades, including what is happening and any possible downtime.

We thank Justin for this opportunity, and look forward to the continued success of RCNC.

Keri and Stephen

3. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Are you going to move the site to a new server?

4. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Thank you Justin for your hard work and the creation of this web site. It has been appreciated.

5. KeriMorgret

Jadfer: possibly. Justin and I are exploring the best hosting options given the amount of image files we have, and the upgrades we want to run.

6. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

Thanks for all your hard work Justin, perhaps now you'll have more time to build and sail, maybe even travel?
    I'm sure wherever you go, there'll be a spare ship available for you.

Keri and Stephen, congratulations on your promotion to the big chair, and expanded workload.

7. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

I look forwards to serving my new Overlords ;)

-Greg

8. Joe

Joe New Member

Thanks for making this site what it is today Justin I look forword to seeing what Steven and Keri do with it

9. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Sad to see you leave the site as a webmaster but you more than earned your time off. Glad to see you will still have a presence here on the site so looking forward to any ship projects you bring forth. The site is in good hands with Keri and Stephen and I am looking forward to any enhancements to the site in future. Thanks for kicking off the site Justin . Glad to be aboard when you first proposed it. Boy time sure did go by. I understand where your coming from as I am getting Married in 24 sleeps and the next adventure begins. It's been a lot of fun and I will be always loyal to the site. This is my Go to for RC combat and it's become my daily routine in my life. Kudos to a job well done and Congrats Stephen and Keri on taking on this responsibility.

10. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

Justin,
    Good Luck!! Welcome on Board Keri and Stephen!!!
    Nikki

11. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Glad it's out in the open :) I signed my NDA in blood on a full moon.

For anyone who is doubting, be assured that I have been assured (as one of your moderators) that Keri and Stephen are NOT looking to make this a bought-and-paid-for ad for Strike Models. If anyone else watched Eureka on SciFi during the season when some deodorant company sponsored it, you know how bad that goes. Keri and Stephen believe that the value of this site lies in it being an open forum and not a hagiography.

I thank Justin for giving us this forum, and I look forward to Keri and Stephen's stewardship of this resource.

signed,
    Freiherr Tugboat von Beerstein

12. KeriMorgret

Thank you for saying that Tugboat. Right now, RCNC is not making any money for us, and is costing us $40-60 a month in hosting costs plus the cost of my time. We're not in this for a quick buck.

So, if we're not doing this for a quick buck, why are we doing it? For the long term. This is one place that helps facilitate the continuation and growth of the hobby, which does benefit the vendors, everyone from us to Battlers Connection to your local hobby and hardware stores.

If you're wondering what to expect, you're already seeing it in some cases. Stephen and I have had moderator access for a few weeks now, and I've been doing work behind the scenes with Justin on the server. I've helped resize the images so the server isn't crashing, then fixing the threads where the images were oversized or displaying poorly. I've edited the ships in the warship registry so they are uniform and searchable (for example, there had been U.S.S. Atlanta, Atlanta, USS Atlanta, and they'd show up as three distinct ships). I've edited a few old thread titles for clarity and spelling. Instead of "newbie question" the title is now something like "newbie question about cannon placement", and I've spelled solenoid correctly so if someone else is searching for a solenoid they'll find that thread. The background images for the site have been reduced in file size, so the site will load faster. My first priority is serving those of you who are already on the site. Make sure the site is working for you, get the avatars fixed, help anyone who needs a hand uploading photos, etc.

The next steps for us (over the next few weeks) is that we're looking for a new server for hosting the site, one where we have plenty of hard drive space for images, better backups, and more. There are new revisions of a couple of pieces of software for the site and the forum, so I'll be installing the latest version of those on the new site, then copying over the content of the forum, making sure things are running right, then switching the site over to the new server.

We welcome any suggestions, comments, questions, and concerns that you may have. Please do speak up.

Thanks,

Keri and Stephen

13. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

Thanks for the kind words everyone. This site's given me a warm feeling of accomplishment for a very long time.

Stokomoto is right, time has gone by... I dug up the forum's first post today: R/C Naval Combat Forums came online at 12:41 AM, Friday October 20, 2006.

It's been 4 years 6 months under my care; I must say I'm a little sad to let it go.

I will haunt the forum for as long as it stays online. Thank you everyone for hearing the "Call to Arms"; and for believing in me.

14. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Can you link to the first thread? :D

15. KeriMorgret

Justin, I think by the time that you get through answering all of my questions and helping walk me through the fresh install of DNN and Active Forums, some of that sadness will be gone. =]

Looks like the first thread is http://rcnavalcombat.com/Forum/tabid/58/aff/540/aft/406693/afv/topic/Default.aspx.

16. KeriMorgret

Justin, I want to thank you for all of the work, time, blood, sweat, tears, frustration, and passion you have put into this site and this community for the past nearly five years. I went to track down the link to the first thread for Kotori87, and got caught up in reading through dozens of threads in the announcements about the growth and changes in this site.

Thank you so much.

17. radollar2000

radollar2000 Active Member

Thanks Justin for all your work on this site. It has been the information I've gleaned from various threads and the support and encouragement of many of the members of the site that has allowed me to even be a part of this hobby, as other wise I would be hopelessly lost. So thanks again and I look forward to reading your posts in the future.

Keri and Stephen ya'll are awesome! I tip my hat and give a bow to you for taking over the obligations and headaches attached to running this most wonderful of sites. Thank you!
    The moderators are great too...well greg is...tugboat...well he is just another evil axis captain! MUSH MUSH! :D

18. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

Ouch!! that was mean and funny!!
    Nikki

19. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

von Tugboat duss not fear zee allied schweinhunden... he feedz dem to hiss boatz!

20. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

That is great news indeed.
    Well done to Justin for creating the site, and keeping it running al this time.
    And to all of the folks out there that have helped keep it running.
    And also to all of the folks that have been posting and visiting the site.
    Support is support. No matter how you cut it.
    With Keri and Stephen helping to run the site, then perhaps Justin will have
    more time to devote to his fleet.
    What a great site, and a great bunch of folks.
    Mikey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.