A question about stringers

Discussion in 'IRCWCC' started by Jay Jennings, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    I seem to remember some discussion about the width of stringers being increased to 1/4 inch, but cannot find those posts.
    Was this change made in the rules? I have some broken stringers to replace and I have under 2 weeks to get the whole boat redone so any help would be appreciated. Thanks,
    J

2. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

The stringer width is unchanged at 1/8".

3. Jay Jennings

Pity, thanks Mike.
    J

4. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Jay that's in my CWC-X rules. I set it up to give the Captain option for 1/4 in or 1/8 in if I remember correctly. I found that the 1/8 was difficult to cut out and reinforce and often time it most hulls made do not have them aligned correctly which cutting with a dremel it causes an uneven cut. Some hulls the stringer is difficult to mark out at 1/8 but at 1/4 inch is much easier. I also like the fact that the increased size of the stringer actually gives more protection as a belt should. 1/4 inch resists rams much better and is easier to reinforce.

5. Jay Jennings

That makes alot of sense Curt. Scharnhorst's stringers are a little chewed up, as you can imagine.
    J

6. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I have found that using 1/8" x 1" aluminum bar stock for stringers is pretty ram and BB proof :)