A Re-Introduction

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by SteveT44, May 20, 2024.

1. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Hello, I'm Steve Tyng. You old fastgun guys know me. You new guys, I dropped out of the hobby back in 2018. Reason I'm here today is that I've been diagnosed with stage 4 prostate cancer. Doc says if my treatments go well I should see another 5 to 10 years before the finish line. Instead of being pissed off with the situation, I want to focus on the positive. I used to really enjoy this hobby so I've decided to start up again. I've dusted off my old Atlanta and am converting it to the meanest SOB cruiser I can make. I intend to do the detailed build posts I used to do. I'll talk anybody's head off when it comes to 24v electronics. I'll push the tech envelope wherever I can. I might even start manufacturing cannons again. So yeah, I'm back. Maybe for not that long, but while I'm here, I look forward to building, posting, bullshitting, and battling with our little toy boats!

2. BigGunJeff

BigGunJeff Well-Known Member

Great to hear your positive outlook.

How to you use 24v in your boats? I tend to parallel my NiMH batteries to 14V and use a DC DC converter to make 12V or 5V, but I've never seen 24V used.

3. SteveT44

I use motors, ESC's, and other components rated for 24v. Here's an article I did on 24v back in the day (which I will update shortly).

https://rcwarshipcombat.com/threads/so-you-want-to-run-24v.445617/#post-520968

4. Nomercy

Nomercy Well-Known Member

Welcome back Steve. Hoping shit works out for the best.

Evan Fowler and SteveT44 like this.
  5. bkoehler

bkoehler Active Member

Steve had a really cool plug-in on his 24v using cordless drill packs. Pretty slick. Great to have you back Steve!

Panzer and notSoGnarly like this.
  6. notSoGnarly

notSoGnarly Well-Known Member

Ohh! This I'd like to see.

7. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

A caution about power tool batteries in the modern era...most have onboard battery management circuit boards, I know for a fact my Milwaukee's do. So just be cautious there.

notSoGnarly likes this.
  8. SteveT44

All lithium power tool packs will have a BMS. Ryobi and Makita even package low voltage cutoff (LVC) in their packs. I'm using Lowe's 24v Kobalt packs currently which have been waterproofed.

notSoGnarly and bsgkid117 like this.
  9. Evan Fowler

Evan Fowler Well-Known Member

Wife and I Look forward to meeting you in person sooner than later. The east coast boys speak highly of you sir
    (tip of the hat)

welcome back

SteveT44 likes this.