A ship to work on?

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by totaldestruction, Jul 20, 2009.

1. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

Paintball guns have a special barrel that spins the paintball backwards to gain rainge and they use it for sniper rifles.

2. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

The curved barrels of Big Gun cannons also add back-spin. Very accurate, left-right, even through sloppy over-sized barrels, but not particularly precise vertically. A few years ago, I did some penetration testing with a Big Gun torpedo cannon and various thicknesses of armor, and determined that a 1/4" cannon at maximum legal power and not skipping off water will penetrate any legal thickness of balsa at up to 30 feet. I couldn't gather data on further ranges because I couldn't hit my test target at further ranges. The vertical inaccuracy was too great, and after 20 tries to land a hit, I gave up. At 30 feet, though, I nailed it on the 2nd try :)

If you have to fight at long range, make sure you're throwing a lot of steel. The individual odds are poor, but your chances of at least one hit go up quite a bit.

3. totaldestruction

totaldestruction Active Member

Well back on topic, i know i have been inactive (on this forum) for a while, but anyway I realized it probably is best to buy a ship rather than make one (after i can check out a battle or two.) sooo, i was wondering, how much on average does a cheap transport cost? with radio etc.

4. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

It depends.
    Join a club and see what they have availble.

5. totaldestruction

Well, I was wondering, this may be late since its going towards winter but is there anything comeing up for the mabg?

6. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

There sure is!
    We are having a building session Nov 28th

Should it be warm enough to sail, we may do that as well.

7. totaldestruction

Oh good! where is it located? Could i come? if so shouldi bring anything? not like I have a boat or anything to work on though....

8. totaldestruction

Good lord.

I hate to bring up a dead thread, but I am on vacation in London and saw the HMS Belfast, reminded me again of the scharnhorst and this hobby.
    These threads make me cringe so hard at what I said.

I have to say sorry to you all for basically blatantly ignoring your advice or questions, I can't stand rereading how dumb I was being.

9. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Everybody does it sometime :) Welcome back.

10. darkapollo

darkapollo Well-Known Member

I cringe at how snooty I use to be reading through some of the stuff I use to post on RCUniverse forums..

11. Tugboat

Best thing to do is take it onboard as a lesson and drive on a better person :) And build more boats! Always more boats!

12. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Which is Clark's answer to every problem...save for boat storage and he's working on that.
    :p

13. U.S.S. Arazona

U.S.S. Arazona Active Member

That's still the answer, you simply build larger boats to put the smaller boats in :p It is cringeworthy to read through your (ime) old posts and realize that you acted terribly, but take it in stride, it just shows how far you've come :)

14. Tugboat

Fortunately, most of my silliness was before this site existed and the people who had to patiently explain these things to me when I was full of 'great ideas' have mercifully forgiven me (or forgotten as they've gotten older!).

Anachronous, you've inspired my next great solution! I'll build a BIG boat... to hold all my OTHER boats!!

15. Anachronus

Glad to be of service. :D

16. Anachronus

I've got it. A 1/96 Sovieysky Soyuz, in that a 1/96 Gangut, in that a 1/144 Imp. Maria, in that a 1/144 Evstafi, in that Othar!

I don't think the Svetlana would fit. Too long.

Though probably you could swap it out for Evstaffi.
    The perfect Matryoshka fleet.

17. Tugboat

I have to finish the Ersatz Hannover in 1/96 before I do another biggie, if I ever finish it!

Might have projects in progress on 3 ships on that list, though. 4, counting Othar.