A Tale of Two CAs

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by SWORRIOR, Jan 13, 2014.

1. SWORRIOR

SWORRIOR Member

I was looking at the Trento and Zara classes and wondering which would be a better combat ship in MWC (fast gun) format. The glaring thing I noticed was that Zara only has 2 shafts, meaning drag disks would have to be fitted to powered shafts vice outboard non-powered shafts. I was hoping someone more experienced than I could chime in on driving a 2 shaft ship vice a 3/4. Many thanks.

2. GeekSpeed

GeekSpeed Active Member

Jeff, this is Ryan W. from SCRAP. I was looking at both of those ships for a while. I generally think that the Trento would be an easier build, as the hull is super simple. It does not have a step, nor does it have the curved notches before the step deck that the Zaras and Bolzano have. Actually, one of the Zaras, the Pola, did not have the notches, but it also has a very different super structure. ANYway, I think in regards to combat, the Zara would be a bit more effective, as it is shorter and I believe the stern sits a bit lower in the water. I would not worry too much about the drag disk issue. Do gear reduction on the motors and use your radio to limit the throttle to hit 23 seconds. I am assuming this is a scratch build?

Hit me up on Facebook, I have some good plans and docs on the Zara for you if you are interested.

3. SWORRIOR

SWORRIOR Member

Ryan,

Good stuff. Thanks bud. I'll drop you a facebook line. Hope you and the other SCRAPPERS are doing well while I'm away.

4. hell0154

hell0154 New Member

Italian cruisers are very round on the bottom. Build carefully and keep the weight low in the hull. Tyler

5. SWORRIOR

SWORRIOR Member

Thanks for the recommendation Tyler. I'll take that approach during the build.

6. GeekSpeed

GeekSpeed Active Member

Adding some good bilge keels should help as well.

7. SWORRIOR

SWORRIOR Member

Ryan,

Yeah that should help stability. I'm still looking around Italy for materials and have found some promising stuff. I'll let you know when I start. Might even make a build thread for the ship(s) I'm building.

8. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

Dose anyone know how to do them ( bilge keels) , I have an american Light cruiser and i'm just wondering how to do it?
    Nikki

9. GeekSpeed

GeekSpeed Active Member

Awesome. I am going to start a thread for the Abruzzi at some point. I am just wanting to get a little further along before I do so. I will look forward to yours.