aaa-rooo-gaa Man your BattleStations!

Discussion in '1/96 Battlestations' started by HMCS, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Mark

Mark Active Member

Carl,
    What was so difficult in building the destroyer? in 1/96 it would be the size of a cruiser in 1/144, don't give up on it! Are all those boats you listed just bare hulls or are they more compleat than that? BTW, where are you located? I'm building a Yamato (origional 1941 phase), at the point where I need to start installing all the guns and hardware:)

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Ah, the Yahagi, one of the Agano class... I have a hull in 1:144 I made for similar reasons. That, and my favorite anime when I was younger had a rebellious type main character named Yahagi Shogo :)

Also in its favor, the Aganos had an 8-shot torpedo battery that could be fired to either side, with reloads :)

3. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

Mark,

The main difficulty with destroyers is the weight limit. I still haven't figured out how to fully arm the Shimakaze and keep to the limit. Also, it's so tight in the hull, its hard to fit the CO2 bottle and waterproof box unless I drop some weapons. And I'm too stubborn to drop any, I guess.

I suppose a Mogador would have been a better choice for a first destroyer, but I could not find decent plans for it at the time, and Art already had the Shimakaze hull available, so I went for it.

Carl

4. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

Hi Carl,

Glad to see you made it over! now if I can just get Mikey and Joe K to start posting.
    Shimikaze should be a pretty fair size and weight for 1/96. Granted you'll probably have to go with micro servos,receiver and lightweight batteries to fit everything in.It also depends on how your arming her.In 1/144 it's no problem to build a 2 gun 9-10 pound cruiser around 50" long.However if your talking all 6 guns and all 15 torps I could see how that might be challenging(although not impossible because I've seen pics of a Northampton that use to battle in MWBG that had all 9 main guns armed)

That said sometimes it is better to start off with something bigger and put your skills and experience to work before attempting a challenging project.

SRF

5. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Baton Rouge

6. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Cool, finally someone in the south! I'm 45 minutes inland from Savannah, but we could meet for a battle :) Or if you really want to drive a ways for a saturday build seesion :)

Have any ship in mind, or still shopping around?

7. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Probably starting with a WW1 vintage cruiser of some flavour. Something simple to start with. May be either US or German. (have plans for those)

Pax,
    J.