Abdiel/Manxman in MWC rules

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by Kotori87, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Hey, folks. I just visited the Cal-Neva battle group for a build session today, and one of the topics we discussed was the Abdiel class minelaying light cruiser. In MWC rules, it is listed as getting 0.5 units. I believe this is an understatement of its abilities because it is easily the equal of any 1.5 unit destroyers. We eventually concluded that the class was listed as 0.5 units because it was treated as a minelayer, not the destroyer (with minelaying capability) that it is. What do you guys think? (note: IRCWCC gives it 1.5 units)

2. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

I thought MWC doesn't allow mines? guns only?

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I have no idea what the armament of the Abdiel was, but if it's like you say it is, it certainly deserves to be 1.5 units. Write up a formal rule change so it can get voted on at Nats. I'll second the proposal.

Justin: no, MWCI doesn't allow mines, but if Abdiel is indeed armed as a light cruiser, it'd rate more than .5 units.

4. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I would never try to deploy mines at a fast guns battle. If they actually caught someone the stalled motors would probably toast the speed controller or blow a fuse, assuming they don't get ripped apart first.

The discussion came about when I noticed that every major naval power in MWCI has a 1.5 unit destroyer except the British, and I wondered why the Abdiel wasn't listed. It was designed as a destroyer, and enlarged to fit cruiser-size propulsion and an enlarged hold for carrying mines (or troops, or midget submarines, or whatever else the Admiralty might need to get somewhere in a hurry). Its armament is easily equal to other destroyers, with six 4.7" QF guns, and its 40-knot speed bests every other british destroyer I know. I'd put in a rule change proposal, but I'm not yet a member of MWCI, and won't be for a while yet. Once I join, I will make the proposal, though.