ABS Sheets for super structure.

Discussion in 'Construction' started by Captain obvious, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Captain obvious

Captain obvious Active Member

Just noticed that a few of you have used abs sheets for super structure. This leads me to a few questions.

#1 How Durable?

#2 How Expensive compared to other materials?

#3 How easy to work with?

#4 Would you consider this over other materials and if so what and why?

#5 Would it be worth putting around the barrels to protect them from being shot up or bent from collisions with other ships?

This is the supplier that has been mentioned, are there others to consider?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#abs/=v8njyg

2. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

#1: Very, BBs bounce off it and worst case live a little dent, most of the time nothing happens or a little paint comes off as most paints don't stick to it the best. It's waterproof so no durability issues there.

#2: It's probably not the cheapest option or the most expensive option. However a 2'x4' sheet of 1/16" ABS is $23 at mcmaster, so it is cheap enough that it isnt worth the time to figure out the overall cost between say ABS whatever other option you want to use, it looks to be a tad cheaper than 1/16" fiberglass on mcmaster, ymmv. Decent quality 1/8" plywood is probably in a similar price range or more depending on your source and that would need extra waterproofing.

3: It's a lot easier to work with than fiberglass I think and doesn't need waterproofing like wood does. You can cut or score&break it with an xacto knife or other standard hand tools. The dust isnt as bad as fiberglass dust if you do use a power tool, however it can melt if you dont cut it properly with a power tool which is annoying. I really like (and im sure they are pretty bad for you) the solvent welders for ABS, they can make pretty strong joints, superglue works well too.

4: It is cheap, easily obtainable, light, waterproof, easy to work with, and takes BB impacts really well. (only thing worse than building superstructure is rebuilding/fixing superstructure ;-) )

5: You could, most guys use "pump hose" for that, 1/4" ID and 3/8" OD hose you can buy at home depot/lowes for cheap. ABS wont stop bending from collisions(it might help a little) but should protect from BB damage. Dont have your barrels overhang the side of your ship, that's the best way to prevent them from bending due to collision.

Find(google) a local plastics supply house, you might be able to get ABS from them at a decent price and save shipping if nothing else. There are a ton of plastics suppliers online to choose from, mcmaster is easy/fast but you tend to pay for it.

3. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

4. Captain obvious

Would this material work for ribs on a ship or only super structure?

5. SnipeHunter

Yeah you could build ribs or of it if you wanted to, some of the guys are printing ribs out of it. I'm not sure if it's "better" than wood for that, probably depends on how you feel about the tradeoffs.

6. Captain obvious

If not the abs sheeting what wood do you use to build these hulls. I have always used fiberglass hulls but am considering a venture into the wooden hull realm.

7. SnipeHunter

1/4" plywood is standard for the ribs. Different people use wood of different quality, but spending a little on decent wood (like 5 ply baltic birch) is typically worth it as far as I'm concerned.

NickMyers likes this.
  8. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

easier to do it right the 1st time than to fix it later

9. GeekSpeed

GeekSpeed Active Member

How are you guys attaching the pieces of ABS together? Are you just gluing them together or are you reinforcing the joints? I am concerned that a 90 degree angle comprised of two 1/16" sheets glued together is not going to be very strong. Also what do you do for curves? Does the ABS bend that well?

10. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

It needs to be reinforced. My HMS Prince of Wales has an abs sheet SS, it has hard wood reinforcing beams and posts inside and has held up well to some of the best fast guns in the hobby. Most of the time it just gets dented, the if time a seam will split and need to be reglued. The smaller bits of course get blasted off, but that is to be expected.

11. SnipeHunter

I reinforce the joints with angle ABS and use solvent plastic welder to join everything. Thin CA works well too. Curves are tricky but scoring and bending works OK.