Added to the list

Discussion in '1/96 Battlestations' started by Gettysburg114th, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Boatmeister

Boatmeister Active Member

MELTED!!!
    Your kidding! That's a new one on me.

To answer your original question, I'ld consider any armored cruiser. There is so much history behind them but with several exception have not been built in small gun. Any of the Russian armored cruisers would be great. I mean the upper deck is easy to build, 3 to 5 dowel rods and match box for the bridge. Not bad...[:D]

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

MDF != good strong boat
    MDF = disaster in naval structure!

3. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

I am an armored cruiser fan myself. One I would love to find a good plan set for is Rurik II. 4x10" and 8x7.5" all in turrets. No foremast. Built by Vickers for the Russians. A nice looking ship.

I have plans for the Italian San Georgio that I need to scan and scale one of these days.

Hmmm....I like Connecticuts, Mississippis, San Georgio, Rurik II...I seem to have a fondness for secondaries in turrets.

J.

4. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

Hmmm, the ruleset here allows ships that were in service from 1900 to 1945 inclusive, or had their keels laid in that time period.

5. Tugboat

Yup. We extended our timeframe backwards to 1900 to allow some cool predreadnoughts to play. Keep in mind the hull had to actually float (i.e. have the launching ceremony, or what passed for one) in order to be used. An example would be the German CV Seydlitz that was floating, but never got operational. Fully legal in our club. An example of one that is not would be the USS Montana (BB-51 nor BB-67) as both were cancelled prior to launch.

6. Anachronus

Though if you must have a ship named Montana the armored cruiser is just dandy.

[:)]

7. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

So the Sovietsky Soyuz would be a legal ship, started in 1938, finally launched in 1949, only to be scrapped.

Displacement: 59,150 tonnes standard
    65,150 tonnes full load
    Length: 269.4 m
    Beam: 38.9 m
    Draft: 10.4 m
    Speed: 28 knots (51.8 km/h) nominal
    29 knots (53.8 km/h) top
    Complement: unknown
    Range: 5,580 miles (10,000 km)
    @ 14 knots (25.9 km/h)
    Power: 201,000 hp (150 MW) nominal
    231,000 hp (172 MW) top
    6 triangle type boilers
    Drive: 3 screws; 3*67,000 hp
    Brown Boveri geared turbines
    Fuel: N/A
    Armor Belt: 375-420 mm,
    Bulkheads: 230-365 mm,
    Barbettes: 425 mm,
    Turrets: 495 mm,
    Decks: 100-150 mm
    Armament: Main guns: 3x3*406 mm/50
    Secondary guns: 6x2*152 mm
    AA guns: 12x100 mm;10x4*37 mm
    Aircraft: 4 Beriev KOR-1 seaplanes;
    1 catapult

Almost worth making a 1/96 scale, but watch out for your back picking it up, LOL.

8. Tugboat

Well, if Mark can build a mighty Yammer, I guess another glutton for punishment could build the Red Shite (oops, that's football :)

Then again, who am I to be talking with Tirpitz?

Although the Mogami mold will get done sooner than the Tirp hull. :( Business before pleasure. At least the Mogami plug gets started in about 2 weeks. After the 1/144 Agano and T-103 molds clear the bench. Mogami is big enough in 1/96 to take pretty much the whole bench. After Mighty Moggie clears, I'll do another 144 ship, probably the Omaha.

I know I did voting, but anyone interested in Omaha in 1/96? (I know James is up for it... at the moment he reads that sentence he will have visions of the Connecticut with Omaha in consort... GWF pr0n lol)

9. Anachronus

Actually was thinking of how nice a Flushdeck destroyer would look with an Omaha.

;)

j.

10. DarrenScott

Yes, the Sovietskiy class is legal here. It's a little difficult to find a source for accurate plans though......I don't speak Russian.

11. Tugboat

Not sure that the SovSoy would be legal, she didn't float till 1949...

12. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Its up in the air really due to the wording of the rules if a Sovietskiy class is legsl.

II. CONSTRUCTION: Ships will be 1/96 scale replicas of warships and civilian ships that sailed during the 1905-1945 period. To be "legal" for this hobby, the hull must actually have floated, even if just sliding down the ways. Concept ships, or even ships that were approved, but not built, are not allowed. Modifications and refits may be incorporated (i.e. torpedo bulges added post-construction, upgunning of turrets), but work on the modification in question must have actually been begun during the 1905-1945 period.

Should add that they have to be completed during this period, also looking at the dates the Vanguard is not legal either, was that a mistake or a oversite. 1/96 is tempting, but I got a bad back now, LOL.

13. Anachronus

I have been using the launch date, not commissioned date. If it did not float by 1945 its not on the list.

A.

14. Tugboat

Vanguard IS legal. It hit the water in 1944. David, give in to temptation, and I'll carry it for you :)

15. Tugboat

I just had an odd thought in the back of my mind, and checked on it. The Des Moines wasn't launched until 1946! Guess she's not legal.

16. Anachronus

Not on the list for that reason. We do make up for it at the other end.

17. Tugboat

LOL, indeed. And I know for a fact that someone will be making Connecticut and Virginia class hulls.

18. Anachronus

Well as long as no one does a Suvarov or something.

j.

19. Anachronus

Went and pulled out my Conway's. Going back to 1900 adds a ton of armored cruisers to the RN, USN and Russians.

USN adds the Maine Class BB's and more interestingly the Arkansas Class monitors.

RN gets armored cruisers back to the Cressy's. 2 new BB classes Duncans and Swiftsure.

IJN gets the Mikasa and Kasuga

France gets a ton of armored cruisers but none of the really odd battleships

Russians get Retvisan, Potemkin, Tessarevitch and Borodinos making up for the lack of odd French ships.

Germany gets BB's back to the Kaiser class.

In short will be fun and more than makes up for the Des Moines.

20. DarrenScott

Our ruleset allows any ship that was in commission, or had it's keel laid between 1900-1946 (inclusive). Not necessary for the ship to have been completed, launched, etc....