Adding details to the Australia

Discussion in 'General' started by wdodge0912, Jun 3, 2019.

1. wdodge0912

wdodge0912 Well-Known Member

So I'm wanting to add some details to my ship while I wait Specifically, I want to add windows on to where the bridge is. and other parts where there wod have been them. Just spruce the ship up a bit. I'm not sure exactly how big to make them though. I was just thinking of cutting a strip of blue painter's tape, then cutting out some squares that seem about the right size, putting in on the boat, and coloring them in with black sharpie, unless actual paint would be better.

I'm also wanting to paint the deck to look like wood, as well as give it some more colors than just the solid grey that it is now. It's great, but I think with some paint it would add a lot of depth to the ship's look. I've added a picture of a model I found, and I was thinking of painting it quite similar. I would replace the big grey section on the sides with red, and just use a grey pinstipe for the waterline.

However, I am colorblind, so if I could get some help/suggestions on some paint to buy to make the deck look like it's wood. I dont plant to go fancy, just would like to ha e it a different color than the rest. I figured that would be a good start to detailing it, and eventually work my way to the rest. I figured with the painting the deck a different color and some other parts a dark grey, it might break up the single color enough that with windows, it could really be a stunning ship.

I added a picture of the model I found that I really like the looks of, as well as a picture of the boat I took early on in the day back on its maiden voyage last month for comparison.

And before it's said, as I know it will be, yes I know and understand a reliable boat that battles is a better boat than a unseaworthy one that looks great, but it is mostly a dependable boat. I think the few things I need to do to it, like tweak the guns, I'm best waiting to get with the group and get help with. I'm looking to do a this stuff in the mean time while I wait for that, and wait for a battle to come around as well. It's not every day a battle is going on ya know.

Attached Files:

2. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Ahoy wdodge0912, you have a wonderful-looking boat. If you're looking for ways to improve it, I highly recommend adding "sharpie details". These are simple details such as portholes and doors, that you draw on with a black sharpie pen. I usually add them by taking a ruler and putting a dot every 3/8" or so at about 5/8" height above the deck. They don't look special up close, but from a few feet away, they add an extra level of visual activity that really looks great.
    Another thing you should consider is adding the top-masts and some rigging. You don't need every single line and pulley, but adding the basic shape and enough thick, heavy line to conjure the feel of a ship of the period can go a long way. For example, see this:
    SMS Schlesien cruising near shore
    Just be careful not to be too brightly colored. Schlesien and her sister-ship Schleswig-Holstein can only be photographed when backlit because otherwise they appear washed-out and lose detail.

Panzer likes this.
  3. wdodge0912

I'm currently working on the top masts actually. I have made some, but not sure if it's exactly what I want. But I do want to use the material I have for it. the picture of 2 is just some gorilla glue that expands, the single one I used some spare nuts to glue the side peices to, to give it more strength. they are more firmly attached, but idk if I want to go with that.

I was thinking of adding things with sharpies, just using some painter's tape to keep it all in a row and aligned. so it sounds like I had the right idea.

I was thinking some parts of the ship I'd paint a dark grey or black, to break up the bright grey it is now. Like the big poles would be dark grey, and paint black on the top of the stacks. I'd actually be darkening the ship in places, and painting the deck a wood color would break up the sides from the deck and the rest of the ship.

I would like to add a rim to the top of the stacks too, but Im not sure how I want to tackle that. may take more of that plastic and see if I can bend it around and see if it will hold.

and thanks, it is a nice looking ship as it is, and with some more detailing, would be even better

Attached Files:

4. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

Want to have more fun at a battle?

If Yes :
    Hook up the boat to a air compressor, dial up the pressure to about 60 to 90 lbs.
    Load and fire all the guns several times (6000 bottle of daisy BB 's).
    Then go buy another bottle of BB 's and repeat. When the neighbors knock on your door and ask "what's going on", then stop.

If No:
    Work on the superstructure.

Kind of simple no?

Panzer, bsgkid117 and Kevin P. like this.
  5. wdodge0912

called it. I'm surprised it wasn't the first response.

The Australia is a good running ship as it is. when it comes to tweaking guns, I would rather have people who have done it there to help. I have no idea the first step to doing it. Also, I have no way to hook up my air compressor to my ship.

How about we not discuss this anymore, and stay on the intention of the topic. I gave my reasons, even though I really shouldn't have to explain anything to anyone anyways.

kind of simple no?

Also, one sortie last battle I went out and looking sorry short, I second guessed myself and shut my co2 bottle off. Guess what? I didnt have guns but still had fun, running around distracting. I think any day being out at the pond is a good, fun day. I think some of you all forget this....

and why can't someone enjoy the hobby their own way? what's the problem with that? im pretty sure it's my boat and my money ive spent on it. If I want to decorate my boat, why cant I?

and for more unneeded explanations or whatever, I'll probably have plenty of time before the next battle I can get to. I work third shift, and a weird schedule where I get every 3rd weekend off. So the next battle that happens on a weekend I have off is in August.

plus the wife has got a new job, and we just bought a new vehicle last month. I still am running borrowed batteries as well, I think getting batteries is really more important than tweaking guns or decoration, but the money hasn't exactly been there for batteries right now. but a dollar or 2 on a roll of painters tape, and however cheap paint is, that's more likely to happen.

but again, I should not have to explain myself to anyone, I owe no one anything, and I should be able to enjoy the hobby how I want to.

So this is the last time I will respond to any of the elitist criticisms of this nature. Just lay off of it.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    SnipeHunter likes this.
  6. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

So scan your plan set and import those images into a graphic program like photoshop. Then scale all those little bits and print them out.
    Windows doors and vents made easy,
    Glue them on and you are done.

Simple no?
    And not elitist just prudent.

bsgkid117 likes this.
  7. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Fight hard, sink well, and leave a pretty wreck!
    thegeek has a good idea though, 3d printing makes superstructure details much easier to build than ever before. The military masts, crows nests, and signalling yards on the Schlesien were all 3d printed ABS. Lightweight, strong, and flexible enough to not break if hit. I'm actually thinking about printing a porthole template, with about 6" worth of portholes all lined up for easy sharpie-drawing. Maybe another one with hatches interspersed as well. In fact I'll go design those right now. Another thing worth investigating is those star-shaped platforms directly beneath the fire control platforms. A detail like that is a great way to stand out from the crowd.
    edit: what diameter are your main masts?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  8. Panzer

Panzer Iron Dog Shipwerks and CiderHaus

This^^^^^^^^^^^^ I always have fun on the water, whether I sink and swim or come off with hardly any holes, After all I just want peeps to come play toy boats with me and have fun:woot::woot: I look sorry always, but hey my wife loves me so I care nothing about anything else.... Hope to see you all on the water, Craig
    Build it and they will Come!!!:):):):cool::whistling::doze::eek::rolleyes:
    Hope everyone has a great spring and safe travels to Nats.
    See you pondside!!!
    Craig:D Lifes good!!

wdodge0912 likes this.
  9. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

If a boat is launched without gas turned on it can be brought in and fixed

wdodge0912 likes this.
  10. wdodge0912

I did not know that. But I also didnt know that it was just the gas off being the problem lol. I thought at first it was the guns, and then the battle had already been going on for a while. It wasn't until I brought the boat in that I realized it was the gas. Oops.

I still had fun though.

11. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

For decks I use Rustoleum Nutmeg Brown paint. Buy it at Home Depot or Amazon. You can add a lot to the boat in its current condition by painting the decks. You can add even more if you add "planking" very simply with a pencil and ruler, if you have time to kill. I don't have the patience for it so I never try.

Sharpie works fine for windows. Or you can get some smaller brushes at your local hobby store and use Rustoleum Black paint for something that's a little more sturdy. Before I would spend the time/effort to try and model the funnel caps, I would just put a little bit of black at the top of the funnel.

Using different greys can work well to create a contrast between parts of the ship. The trick is to not do it all the time and not have them too "close" to each other. If you over do it, it'll look like you were running out of any 1 grey paint. The hull could be a different grey from the SS and that would create a nice contrast. On Bart (and most french ships) the forecastle does not have a wooden deck, so I used a 3rd grey that was between the superstructure and the hull for that area.

0411191331.jpg

Fair warning I would stay away from rigging if you were thinking about it. It will, 100% guaranteed, get caught up in a prop when you sink/it comes free/etc and wreak havoc. Flags are, for the most part, OK. The radars on my mast I have completely accepted are going to disappear one battle. I have a baggy of spare bits for Bart and have already had to replace detail parts after only 2 regional battles. That's the beauty of 3d printing.

The goal here is to make the ship look good on the water. Think of a block-away girl. She looks great over there, but when you get closer....RUN!

Enjoy the hobby how you want, the more seasoned veteran types (believe it or not) care about your wellbeing in the hobby and have seen tons of pretty boats come and go because they were pretty but ultimately completely non-effective. In the winter months when I was building Bart, I received plenty of criticism for spending time on detail work when the boat wasn't operational yet. At the time, I had no coin to work on the functional bits and wanted to continue spending energy/time on the boat. When you go out on the water, no one will pity your lack of guns because your superstructure looks amazing. But so long as you as the owner/driver accept that you are here for fun, you are doing what you want, then carry on :). (Though I do highly suggest making sure your boat does work in addition to look pretty! :laugh:)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    Panzer and wdodge0912 like this.