Adding photos to your posts, the easy way

Discussion in 'Site Announcements' started by NickMyers, Nov 28, 2014.

1. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Attaching photos to your post is easy! (Click thumbnails to biggie size)

Under the textbox where this text goes, there is a button that says 'Upload a File' 'Add Images' **updated on Jan 19, 2015 **
    Screenshot 2014-11-28 15.23.24.png
    If you click it, a file dialogue appears
    You can select one, or many
    Screenshot 2014-11-28 15.24.10.png
    Once you pick your files, they will begin to upload (assuming you're doing this from a flash enabled browser)
    Screenshot 2014-11-28 15.24.25.png
    Once they have uploaded, each will appear with a small thumbnail and a pair of buttons to insert the image as a thumbnail (which will expand to the full image when clicked) or as the full size image.
    Screenshot 2014-11-28 15.25.02.png
    At the top of the list, there is also a pair of buttons to automatically insert every image you've attached as a thumbnail or a full size image. If you're upload a bunch of photos from an event, setting them all as thumbnails is a nice way to create a gallery.

Note: You don't actually have to do anything once you're at this point. Not clicking on of the insert options will simply leave the files as being 'attached'.

Here I have inserted an image as thumbnail
    both aground.jpg
    And here I have inserted the next image as a full size.
    derf_2048s.jpg
    And now I shall demonstrate 'Insert every image as a thumbnail' and its gallery building usefulness. - note: if you have attached a lot of pictures, as I have here, you will need to wait for them all to finish uploading before using one of the 'Insert every' options or hitting 'create thread'/'post reply'
    both aground.jpg derf_2048s.jpg DSC_0022.JPG DSC_0028.JPG DSC_0038.JPG DSC_0042.JPG DSC_0052.JPG DSC_0055.JPG DSC_0060.JPG DSC_0084.JPG DSC_0097.JPG DSC_0105.JPG DSC_0113.JPG DSC_0131.JPG DSC_0134.JPG DSC_0137.JPG DSC_0155.JPG DSC_0162.JPG DSC_0163.JPG DSC_0180.JPG DSC_0184.JPG DSC_0204.JPG DSC_0210.JPG embarassing.jpg new details.jpg p1000299.jpg p1000301.jpg p1000304.jpg p1000312.jpg p1000315.jpg visible damage.jpg

Your images will be scaled to fit in a 1200x1200px envelope. Upload per file size maximum is around 8mb. I highly suggest cropping photos prior to upload so you don't waste screen space on empty water, but that is a different thread...

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  2. DATDAVFred

DATDAVFred Member

3. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Ok That is good to know. What about our file folders that already had images in them from the old forum. Can we still access them or do we create new folders?

4. NickMyers

While the files still exist and any links to them are still good, it wasn't possibly to migrate them in a manner that reattached them to you. You're more than welcome to use the Media Gallery system to make personal albums and upload photos. If you set them to Anyone or Members-only for 'Who can view' they will show up in your profile for others to see. For an example you can see my profile or @WillCover also has an album or two.

Edit: I should probably note that the first post in this thread talks about using the 'Upload a File' option to attach photos to threads, as opposed to using the media galleries which this post is talking about. Attaching photos to threads via Upload a File doesn't currently put them in an album for you, it just attaches them to your post in a slick and easy to use way.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  5. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Ok I understand .Tks. Glad the RCNC is being kept as a redirect. Love this new site. Has FB elements which I use for my own FB page. I am going to enjoy exploring this site and using the features here.

NickMyers likes this.
  6. NickMyers

Update: based on some feedback received I have changed the phrase on the Upload A File button to say 'Add Images' in an attempt to reduce confusion about what a person should do in order to add images to posts. Same functionality otherwise.