Adhesives for use with raw aluminum

Discussion in 'Research and Development' started by GregMcFadden, Feb 6, 2011.

1. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

All, I figured I would pass along my experience of trying to find a suitable adhesive to bond aluminum (non-anodized, the anodizing layer makes bonding easier) to itself and fiberglass (such as a hull)

So far, the following have not worked adaquately without physically encapsulating a tab of the aluminum part in the adhesive (encapsulating a tab is probably the best way to do it, but it is too late now for my current project)
    Any store bought epoxy resin (meant for fiberglass work, such as west systems) even when coupled with fiberglass cloth, etc
    JBweld

The following will work well, but I don't like to use it due to extremely long cure times
    3M scotchweld DP460 (we use this stuff at work and it is really tough but it does take a long time to cure if you can't heat it to 50-80C or higher)

the following seems to be better than JBweld or epoxy/glass but not as good as 460
    3M Hysol 1C

anyone else tried anything else?

2. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I use a mixture of smurf blood, pine pitch, and of course, vinegar (the wonder substance).

4. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

E6000 (industrial version of GOOP)

5. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

I did find this product using my google-fu, the test results seem promising, for a whole lot of uses in our hobby.

http://www.polywater.com/btlabreport.pdf

6. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

I use plumbers GOOP. The battery tray in Scharnhorst is made of 3/4 inch angle aluminum and has been inplace since 2007 without the need to regoop. I have aluminum gooped to aluminum and aluminum gooped to the fibreglass hull. If it needs to be removed, you just pry it off. Works very good,
    J

7. Tyndmyr

Tyndmyr New Member

Goop is pretty good in my experience.

Also, DAP. I haven't used it on Al, but I have with nearly everything else. Make sure you coat both sides and wait until it's nearly dry. Barely still tacky is perfect. Stick together. Be aware that you will not have a chance to move it afterward. It's a very firm bond.

8. treemagnet

treemagnet New Member

I have used Devcon products great for adhesion and you can machine when cured. I have used it on some products at work and ran it thru a full mil qual vibration and temperature

Tom