Admiral Sparrow's Graf Spee

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Craig, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Craig

Craig Active Member

Hi all. Gathering info for hints tips and tricks.... and possibly more hints. I have taken Spee down off the shelf, dusted off the radio, things seem to be in good working order. The gun kit should be arriving today / tomorrow. I have already had Spee out for a trail run and the engines don't seem to push as hard as I'd like. Because I am using Princess Auto motors, Jay (Jennings) suggested I may be using a different voltage of engine to battery voltage, today I am going to bench test that. I've got a few dozen spare sets of engines. I have never installed a gear set and would like pics or (hints/tips/tricks) if you have any out there Naval RC Combat World (NRCCW) I would appreciate it.
    Also, should anyone out there have any thoughts/ ideas or sites/pics they would like to share send the link as I will gladly check them out. I have very little experience with the smaller ships. I have gotten Spee on the water, so that is good. Ran for about twenty minutes, was not happy with the speed and brought him in. I'd like to see some set ups as I am going triple stern and was wondering if there were any known issues with mounting the guns in the back turret.
    Thoughts? Questions? Examples? NRCCW, I am listening!
    Jack Sparrow

2. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Craig I think those Pricess Auto motors are 12volt motors. I have installed a pair in the southy. They will make a ship move but probably not to scale speed.

3. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Get a pair of 380 motors for the Graff, Geared down or ESC. 3 Blade prop . There's a site I will find that has a excellent reference and photos for a Graf Spee/Lutzow build . It Should be able to help out a lot there as there are lots of photos and explainations of the setup. i will have to check my vast favorite section to locate it.

4. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Or you can get from Battlers a 550 motor running 2 shafts gear set.

5. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

The 550 driving 2 props will get you to speed, and as a bonus, let you run a bigger pump motor.

6. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Agreed with the suggestion to use the BC single motor/twin shaft gearbox. Well built, compact, solid performance. I've used them in three ships including an old Swampworks Lutzow hull.

7. Craig

Craig Active Member

Excellent Suggestions all! I have been looking at the motor/twin shaft gearbox actually... :)

8. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good choice.

9. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I have one at home. I will try to post a pic of the two shaft gear box.

10. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

Craig has one already, but I can't remember if it is for the 550 0r 380 motor.
    J

11. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I think it was only designed for the 550

12. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

You are correct Paul, so it was for a 550.
    J

13. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I think I may have one too from BC.

14. Craig

Craig Active Member

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D[​IMG]
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:woot::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

With out a doubt a beautiful site! Unfortunately the shipping and duty added 50% to the price of the gun kits, but, if you can find a couple of captains willing to go in on it together, it's 66% better! This treasure box arrived yesterday from Battler's Connection. I wonder what could be inside?????

15. Craig

Craig Active Member

[​IMG]
    Here we are. That's more like it. A trio of Cruisers will soon be hunting the fine waters of New Brunswick with these bad bouys!
    Lee has opted to run a single cannon for now and will upgrade to a two gun system once he gets the feel for firing (plus it was cost effective for him). Will has his dual stern cannons, and the french fleet will have a new addition soon! The Spee... hehe will soon have some teeth!

16. Craig

Craig Active Member

[​IMG]
    Lee's kit for his english cruiser. He is still unsure if he wants to go bow or stern for the cannon? Any thoughts here? He wants to start with whichever is easiest for him.

17. Craig

Craig Active Member

[​IMG]
    Will's crusier looks great on the outside, the rest of the internals are ready to install, now that this is here, it will be a snap to get the ship ready for combat... I just hope whatever side he is fighting against is ready for him!

18. Craig

Craig Active Member

[​IMG]
    Captain Jack's Kit. Should be good. Should be very good. I have never had an issue with the kits I have boughten before from BC. So this should literally piece itself together. The kits come with instructions which are most appreciated and so are any spare parts (especially the o-rings, can't have enough of those). I had forgotten that a speed loader and safety goggles were included. SWEET!

19. Craig

Craig Active Member

[​IMG]
    And Pins. Cannot have enough extra pins. Safety first! I think in all it took five business days to get to here from Florida, so that's pretty good.

20. Craig

Craig Active Member

[​IMG]
    Sigh. Just could not wait to see the goodies. Looked over the cannons, they all look to be top notch. Excellent craftsmanship. Thanks BC. Mine enemies shall taste cold BB's!