Admiral Sparrow's Graf Spee

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Craig, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Craig

Craig Active Member

[​IMG]
    Here is my kit all laid out. I really could not wait to check it all out. I had Big Bang Theory on in the back ground and by the end of the show, I had most of the parts out of their bags. It was so awesome to see the kit, and know that with this, it completes the Admiral. I cannot wait to install this!

2. Craig

Craig Active Member

[​IMG]
    Ok. Put on another Big Bang Theory.... look what it got me. he he he. I have a thought. According to the instructions from BC, they say I should use an accumulator tank for my triples. IF they are the only weapon on the ship, would it still be nessecary to make one (as I have not before, am open to suggestions how). I think I have seen layouts in the past that have not used a tank for duals and triples. It means that one cannon would shoot harder than the others I understand that, but, does it reduce the other gun(s) usefulness to a point that they do not penetrate balsa? If anyone has ideas (sites/pics would help) on the best way to procede, please reply, I will listen to all advice. Thanks all!

3. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

A small accumulator would not hurt. It can be placed near the cannons if your bottle is 3.5 or 4oz is sitting in the bow area. It would ensure a ready supply nearer the cannons . In Roma I have a no accumulators and the triples fire hard and well. You can use a single accumulator 2 or 3 inches long for all 3 cannons or you can use 1 inch accum tied individually for each cannon . I use a 3 inch accum for Yam's triples and they fire hard.

4. Craig

Craig Active Member

I think the issue will be space when I am done. I don't have the electrical, the gun kit or the radio gear in and already it is feeling pretty cramped. I will show you what I have so far.

5. Craig

Craig Active Member

[​IMG]
    So here is what we are looking at. Switched out the old rudder control arm for something a little more sturdy. The rudder has a great motion now and I will see what other tweaking needs to be done when the ship is under trials. It is nice, neat and clean and I like how it looks and works now. So no issues here for the moment. Cleared all bench tests.

6. Craig

Craig Active Member

[​IMG]
    So here is a major obstacle. With the gear system in place and the 550 motor in (all is temporary) this is where and how she sits.
    I would be glad to secure it and say "Away she goes" but, there is a , as I said, major obstacle.

7. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Is the motor sitting right where the guns are? It looks like it...

8. Craig

Craig Active Member

[​IMG]
    Fairly major obstacle no? yikes. I hate to try to twist and bend the guns around that. It touches the hatch! Aside from that I wouldn't want to have my bb's getting interferred with from the magnetism of the engine. This has me completely shut down for today. I am not sure how to proceed from here. Need some ideas here.

9. Craig

Craig Active Member

[​IMG]
    Here is the rest of the layout so far. 3.5 oz with regulator turned to bow to grab some more space (which is precious). I have my radio gear resting in behind that. Then the battery.

10. Craig

Craig Active Member

[​IMG]
    Better shot of it all here. I will only be using the one servo when I build my radio box. It will have pump and the triples on it. Reciever is yet to be water proofed.

11. Craig

Craig Active Member

[​IMG]
    Throttle servo, reciever battery and mini pump. I could put the tank in that part, but we still have to fit in the gun yet....

12. Craig

Craig Active Member

[​IMG]
    It's a lot tougher than I thought it would be. I would be done if I was building another BB. So engine and mount have me trapped and then tank for guns has me miffed.... stone walled for me for today. If anyone has any suggestions out there fire away, i could use some friendly advice.... gonna put down the dremel and grab some grub, come at this fresh either later tonight or tomorrow.
    Thanks all for dropping by,
    Captain Sparrow

13. Craig

Craig Active Member

Yes Tugger, right where the guns will be going through.... ugh..... :(

14. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Longer shafts and bring the motor & gearbox forward? Would probably force the pump further forward , unless it can slip between the shafts, but that might not be a massive issue.

15. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Looks like the problem is the height clearance in that section. The motor gearbox is too tall to be sitting directly beneath the aft turret where your cannons are going to be.Clearance may still be an issue because even if you use longer shafts your magazines from your cannons are going to be facing that direction and they will come down even when chopped you have to consider the upfeed hoses that will be dangling beneath them and the gas caps. That means your main ballast which looks like a large single battery will be more forward which will move the center of gravity towards the bow, but your pump will be up there too. Looks like it will be quite crowded up there.

Craig take a bb cannon and place it in the turret in the center to see how much clearance you have. It looks like you may have space with the motor back but how far back can you go without affecting your arrangement too much up front you will have to test fit to see where the problem is. Take a bb cannon and place it alongside the hull parallell to the turret and mark off on the hull where the mag would sit to be mounted properly. Then take a ruler and measure that from the bottom up or top down. Then take the ruler and lay alongside your motor mount inside the hull and mark off where the top of the motor gearbox is on the ruler. Place that alongside your marking outside of the hull and compare. Then measure again until you get an idea how far back the motor has to be to clear the cannon.

Take pics and post .

Where your motor is I would have 2 380s there direct drive . You can angle them out to the hull side enough to leave space in the middle for cannon clearance.

I will call you this evening when I get back.

16. tsolson55

tsolson55 Active Member

Craig,
    If you reverse the motor, mounting the motor over the shafts it would sit under the deck step down. I did this on my DKM Lutzow as it had the same problem with the cannons. You would still have access to the gears and the back side of the motor, it's just not very easy to get to the other end of the motor to lube/oil it up. Looks like you also would have to move the rudder servo back a bit also.
    Skippy

17. tsolson55

tsolson55 Active Member

I'll look for oictures tomorrow to send you if you need them.

18. tsolson55

tsolson55 Active Member

Craig,
    I found 1 picture tonight, it's been a while not sure how to load pics up right now. I'll try tomorrow or I can send it to your private E=mail.
    Skippy

19. Craig

Craig Active Member

Dog,

Thanks that is an interesting thought, off to work, I will check that out when I get home. Nick, I spoke to that at length with Curt on the phone last night. That possibility also exists, however, whatever I use as "extended" dog bones / a connector between the two might be hard to figure out unless you have a suggestion. Also there is the issue of the shafts coming in on a bit of an angle. Won't there be an issue of stress?

Oops gotta jet. Work......

Sparrow

20. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

Hey Craig, I agree with Skippy, the rudder servo should be moved back, like I did with Scharnhorst (below). That will free up space for cannons in the stern. The pump can go aft as well and if you can reverse the motor and use longer shafts, you could spin the motor 180 dfegrees, making room for up tubes. If the yp tubes won't fit then using direct drive may be the best sol'n unless you are able to use the BC smaller 380 sized single gearboxes, has anyone been able to do that and have pics??I think the mags will fit if you put them facing aft. If you secure all three together, it will make a solid unit. Some careful manipulation of the mags, uptubes etc. and you may be able to snake them around the pump if it is in the way. Similar to the mags I got from the E-word ( NC's old guns I think) that were bent in an arc.
    [​IMG]