Admiral Sparrow's Graf Spee

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Craig, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Craig

Craig Active Member

[​IMG]
    Grrrr..... but, you get the point here. It is now set in place and secured with resin and fiber glass. Again. Very pleased with the outcome. All is straight and true. I am really seeing the end result and it seems like it will work out better than I anticipated.

2. Craig

Craig Active Member

[​IMG]
    Here we go. I recycled the lower screws that came with the mount and cut them down to a length to secure the engine. Wait for the next pics! :cool:

3. Craig

Craig Active Member

[​IMG]
    A thing of beauty. Many days of agonizing about the choices... I am glad I took suggestions posted here and modified them to fit the task.

4. Craig

Craig Active Member

[​IMG]
    Decent shot but the next one is the one I got excited for....

5. Craig

Craig Active Member

[​IMG]
    Look back at the previous pics and then this one.... what a space saver. I am actually speechless. That does not happen often.

6. Craig

Craig Active Member

[​IMG]
    And the icing on the cake...... It fits exactly where the it did before. This time it will be on a more stable platform.... Hurrrah!
    :woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:
    A good refit.... I will do a run tomorrow for sure now. Already attached a battery and fired it up. It went very well. Lots of nice mean power! I love that I can take the engine out when needed and then unhook the locking collars and u-joints and I can pull the shafts out of the stuffing tubes with ease.

7. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Nice nice work. I may do that with one of my old ships getting a refit.

8. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Nice work Craig. Is it me or does it look like the motor is sitting on the u joints?

9. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Hopefully the U joints are not rubbing against the underside of the motor. It looks good. Don't forget to attach your capacitors to the motor do cut down on the RF from the motor. That servo may not like it.

10. Craig

Craig Active Member

[​IMG]
    You can see the darkness in between there. No. The engine is not resting on the u-joints.

11. Craig

Craig Active Member

[​IMG]
    Just another angle. I could see in the other set of pics where it might look that way but there is enough clearance for sure.

12. Craig

Craig Active Member

[​IMG]
    There we go adjusted the center focus.... also dropped a screwdrive down to show it was not an optical illusion or a weather balloon... :) Enjoy guys, more work being done tonight!

13. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

What is the motor sittong on then?

14. JasonC

JasonC Active Member

i belive its mounted to the gearbox and only the gear box

15. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I would think there should be some sort of mount just so there is no strain on the connection from the motor to the gear drive. A small thin motor mount would do I think

16. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

The connection is ridiculously strong. Built to BE the mount for the motor.

17. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I will remember that when I get around to building my Graf Spee.

18. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Yup, those motors are built and meant to be face mounted like that, very common among the motors we use. Plus face mount allows for the ability to adjust the mounting to account for different size gears for adjusting speed and whatnot. The forces on the mount arent really that great anyway, our ships generally produce less than 2 lbs of thrust.(atleast for the fast gun ships I have data for but seeing as treaty and big gun are slower they wouldn't even need that much.)

19. Craig

Craig Active Member

[​IMG]
    Not too bad looking eh? lol :woot: I still have .... a lot of work to do.... :cry: but starting to look the part. very nicely balanced. Not a lot to shoot at in the back.... I think this pic made me fall in love with the ship a little. Still have some deck work to do as you can see. But it came together well.

20. Craig

Craig Active Member

[​IMG]
    Well. The issue was I had no forward. Strangest thing happened. One engine went forward other reverse. Switch the connection and the water shot off in the opposite directions. It was a disappointment for sure. But the ship was on the water !!! (Thumbs up!)