Admiral Sparrow's Graf Spee

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Craig, Jun 18, 2012.

1. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Looking good Craig. Big thumbs up.

2. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Well at least it made it to the water and looks like the ballast is good. Those triples look quite nasty back there. Not something I would want to expose my bow to for sure.
    Remember getting it to the water is where you begin to actually work the bugs out from there so always expect something to go wrong . Once you work it out make note of it somewhere for future reference.

3. Craig

Craig Active Member

GOT IT! Testing tommorrow am

4. Craig

Craig Active Member

[​IMG]
    HERE WE GO!!!!!!! :cool:o_O:laugh::cry::cool:o_O:laugh::cry::cool:o_O:laugh::cry::cool:o_O:laugh:

5. Craig

Craig Active Member

[​IMG]
    Off like a rocket and performed beautifully! Nice classic shot under power and the sweet shadow on the sand underneath. Wind was a little higher than I woul dhave prefered, but, the ship handled it nicely. As with the quick test last night, this morning's run had spectators. Asking questions... it felt good to promote once again. Just gotta work out the bugs now.

6. Craig

Craig Active Member

[​IMG]
    Schweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! What a glorious sight! The German Navy has a newish addition! There is a shopping list of things to do. Paul hold off on this weekend. I don't think I will have time to make all the adjustments I can make and install the gun kit in time. The Following concerns were found or taken care of with this first shakedown cruise. Running time 11 minutes:
    Hull filled with water almost to sinking. Need to install pump. Locate leaks. Possible leaks around new shafts, rudder, unknown damage to balsa sheeting, and some water did get in over the step down deck through the hatch. I will have to make some adjustments. Rudder worked perfectly. Engine/mount worked top notch. No issue with props. I will have to put on a set of capacitors for the engine to tone down interference with rudder servo to be safe. Next up will be repairing the deck from the damage of cutting out more space. After that is full gun kit install. Then some more shakedown time. At least I made it to the water. I would be an unwilling targetship.... for about 11 minutes.... lol.

7. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Banzai!! Ferry well done, Herr Sparrow! Ze pumpz are ferry, ferry, important, ja? JA!

8. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

clap ..clap...clap ..CLAP CLAP..CLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPPINNG..... excellent ze Kapitan. The Fuheur is pleased with such results. You may install a pump to keep ze ship afloat.
    Seal the quarterdeck hatch once you have completed the work there . Ze Lutzow can run with the quarterdeck awash but you must have a working pump or it will quickly founder and we do not want to give our enemies such pleasure .

9. Craig

Craig Active Member

[​IMG]
    Hiya all. Had a great trip to Halifax. Will be going again in a few weeks. Picked up some parts, had a great visit with Capt. Mackinnon. When I got home began thinking about the work to GS. Took everything you see here apart in about twenty minutes, greased the shafts and rudder post and put it all back together. Also Gooped in the moter mount. Letting it dry over night. Will go over the hull, and need to put some bondo and touch up paint around the shafts. Once that is done and I am happy with the back end of the boat I am going to make a new single hatch which will extend to the aft turret. This will be sealed with paint and some bondo. Should I need access for any reason I can open it back up and seal it again. Should make things fairly watertight. Also will be installing a pump (hurray) tomorrow, and sealing the radio box semi-permanently. Whew. Then another shakedown cruise on Thursday. :cool: I will keep you all posted.

10. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Hey Craig great work so far. For the quarterdeck I would use clear silicone and just put a thin bid along the edge, place your hatch on it and wipe off the excess(damp finger in latex glove and just smear over the edges. This way if you need to remove the hatch you can easily slice through it with your exacto blade and pry it loose if you need access. I had sealed Yamato's small access hatch with bondo before but when you need to get in it's a pain and makes a mess. I currently have it siliconed and it will be easier to pry off if I need emerg access.

11. Craig

Craig Active Member

[​IMG]
    Alrighty. tonight's update on Jack Sparrow's GS. Well. How does one find those silly little leaks? Here is an unorthodox way I found amusing today! Couple of milk crates with a garbage can and a tub. All we need now is water! Never said I play by the rules... just want results! :p

12. Craig

Craig Active Member

[​IMG]
    Hello my pretty! Here are a few droplets. Nothing at all from the shafts or rudder post. Looks like the grease held up nicely. Hmmmmm. Couple of spots here.

13. Craig

Craig Active Member

[​IMG]
    Looks like Graf is crying.... it's ok. you will soon be a nasty little beast chewing up allied balsa. Although I still have not found anything major....

14. Craig

Craig Active Member

[​IMG]
    Ahoy Matey! Shiver me Timbers! Yikes! What the :cry:o_O Looks like we found a weak spot on the port side. Wow. repairs needed for sure. What ya think? lol Nice dry shaft there....

15. Craig

Craig Active Member

[​IMG]
    Marked out the spots with a marker, were things were less than watertight.... well.... not so much at all.

16. Craig

Craig Active Member

[​IMG]
    Water still dripping and sploshing out of that cut. Looks like the culprit of the 11 minutes til hull was full has been found.

17. Craig

Craig Active Member

[​IMG]
    From the looks of things, I may have a panel that needs to be replaced altogether. Lot of water seeping through.

18. Craig

Craig Active Member

[​IMG]
    OMG! Where did all that water come from!!!! I am in trouble now. Just kidding, tipped the boat to let some water out, Took this as a gag. The back end was completely dry.

19. Craig

Craig Active Member

[​IMG]
    After patching the with silkspan and sigment (forgot to take some beauty shots) I put a fine coat of bondo over the patchs. I will use fine grate sandpaper to smooth it all out and make it look pretty. The boat feels about a pound heavier, and I get the sense the work was appreciated. I also have the new hatch set up with bondo and CA. This will always be a little soft I fear, but, a more permanent solution will happen over the winter. For now it will have to do.

20. Craig

Craig Active Member

[​IMG]
    Here is a picture of the new support brace that will be under the newly formed hatch. Also the patch job of the cut. It was actually through three panels. Ouch!