Ahoy from Virginia!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by PetrolHead951, Apr 15, 2014.

1. PetrolHead951

PetrolHead951 Member

Damn the torpedos, I'm building a Balltimore. Probably the USS Columbus so I can make a missile cruiser superstructure when I get bored.

2. misguided1

misguided1 Member

I don't think you'll be able to battle with the Missle cruiser SS on the ship.

3. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Most regional / local battles would let him, just for grins. Nationals (aka "NATS") is a bit more....formal. Heck, I know of several ships that battled with NO SS. Just double-check with the local club and see how restrictive (or not) they are. Most groups are happy enough to have someone on the water to shoot at that they won't mind.
    :)

4. PetrolHead951

PetrolHead951 Member

The missile cruiser SS will be the backup superstructure for putting around on the Lafayette river, I wouldn't battle with it anyway because it would ruin the historicalness of the battle. I'm not even sure how I'd arm a CG anyway.

5. PetrolHead951

PetrolHead951 Member

Hard economic times have derailed plans for our navy, but I'm not giving up.

6. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Good to see you're still around! Stick with it and eventually you'll get there. I would suggest checking out some local events but I'm not sure if there is anything < 4 hours away coming up.

7. PetrolHead951

PetrolHead951 Member

Well, this guy just discovered the Steampunk Flotilla...

8. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

thats still pretty new and untested territory, without many people in it so far

9. PetrolHead951

PetrolHead951 Member

But it's so cool!

10. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Steampunk is still at the prototype stage... there are several cruisers and one battleship hull being built, but none have even been on the water yet. Until we get a couple of hulls built and tested on the water, Steve is reluctant to release the plans for building (in case some whoopsie requires major redesign).
    McSpuds battleship & my cruiser will be ready for testing in the next month or two. So figure on seeing something early this summer.....

In the meantime, you could start gathering the funds, tools, and materials :) Even if Steampunk never takes off, there isn't anything needed to build a SF boat that wouldn't also be useful for a different combat format.;)

11. PetrolHead951

PetrolHead951 Member

I read somewhere recently that a Baltimore class cruiser could throw up a higher weight of anti-aircraft fire over time than the Yamato if you don't count the Beast from the East's ridiculous 18 inch Sanshikidan AA shells.

Imagine the sight of the American fleet opening up on some poor Japanese dive bomber. First the 5"/38s firing off 'Boom! Boom! Boom' shortly after them the quad-40mms 'Bang! Bang! Bang!' Then the 20mms 'DakkaDakkaDakkaDakka!'

I've been looking around at all of the wonderful ships out there that I could make that are more capable than a Baltimore class cruiser, but I keep coming back to the USS Columbus anyway.

12. PetrolHead951

PetrolHead951 Member

Buying a house on a pond. Closing Monday. HOA probably won't allow battles, but sailing an unloaded RC ship is definitely a go...

I'm trying not to get too excited.

P.S. Still no authorized funds, but there is a job in the Prime Minister's future.

rcaircraftnut and NickMyers like this.
  13. bmarkb

bmarkb Active Member

For pretty cheap, I can get you into Big Guns with a loaner boat....

rcaircraftnut and PetrolHead951 like this.
  14. PetrolHead951

PetrolHead951 Member

Is Big gun active in Hampton Roads?

15. bmarkb

bmarkb Active Member

Active is not probably the best word. Trying to get active is better.
    I'm actively building, it looks like we have a new member moving in with boats, and an interested new guy inRichmond. Various other members are scattered throughout Virginia and Maryland.
    I have my eyes on a pond in York County that may be usable for battles.

16. PetrolHead951

PetrolHead951 Member

From what I've heard in the past, finding a usable pond has been difficult for you guys. If my wife approves funding I'd be more than happy to join you guys.