aircraft carriers

Discussion in 'General' started by cosworth, Jan 1, 2008.

1. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

Yea. Plans for this one were hard to get.She is built and I have an air compressor in her instead of Co2. Thanks Bob for your coming to bat on that Terror. Just a little more equipment to be put in her. Look for her in some of the video from the WWCC in the 2009 season. I think she would be perfect for the Maker Fair pond.

2. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

I think one of the most interesting thing in the WWCC rules is mounting airplanes on the deck and firing them off the deck. If the make contact against the target vessel they score X amount of points for their team. One could try to find fastest carrier and just arm it with these and no guns or just a few for defence. In this way carriers would launch their planes and get to some safe haven and try again if they have reloads. Maybe like the torpedo cruisers they could come in and rearm. One could set shore targets and launch these planes at these targets to gain points. Lastly a person would not have to put guns in it and could get it on the pond from a build relativly quick. Some of our small fry captains could operate these.Please guys do not come back at me and tell me planes were not kamakazied of flat tops. This is a game. Thank you.

3. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

Wow, I had the idea of launching planes off carriers two years ago when I built my Saratoga but making them hit ships and count for points would surely give the carriers a place and reason to be in our fleet battles. This is something I will have to look more into. Great idea!

4. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

Sorry I could not get it out there sooner. The planes can be generic. Just to get them off the model. I mean it does not have to make a barrel role or a loop. I have found some planes that are small enough that are rubber band launched with a hook under the fusalage. I think it would work. I found these at a 7/11 store. Check out the food stores little toy section or the Drug stores. One could make a rubber band catapult. The guys in the WWCC just made an air tube to the flight deck and had a soda straw go over a brass tube. Now if these planes could also cause fisical damage to a vessel. Awsome. The sky is the limit on this one.

5. cosworth

cosworth Member

I thank everyone for the comments listed. I have just completed a Midway carrier that will run unarmed at the moment and cant wait for the first sea trials.This is one big ship and will probably be more of a show piece at the local hobby shows we have here.

6. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

Yes it is one big target. One operated a few years back here on the West Coast in the WWCC She preformed well but,looked like swiss cheese after every sortie. Crane assist is needed to put her in and take her out of the pond. I should talk. I built a Queen Mary so what do I know.

7. cosworth

cosworth Member

hopefully the pumping system we have aboard will keep it afloat long enough to extract it from the dam.The whole idea is to be more of a promotional tool to entice new members , along with my North Carolina, Wicheta ,T2 tanker and Liberty.My missus says enough is enough as far as any more boats go .

8. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

Have mercy on your soul. All of us married guys feel your pain.

9. the frog

the frog Member

15 years ago in the MBG we had two carriers both allied that launched planes from the flight deck.I can remember one ship coming in with a plane stuck in its side at the waterline

10. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

What kind of model plane was it? Materials?

11. wrenow

wrenow RIP

Tug,

The particular rules for carriers is one of the reasons I have been waiting with bated breath on your HMAS Albatross. Simple, easy to battle ship with triple torps on each side. While on this topic, any update on the availability of any of your convoy ships?

Cheers,

12. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

That's Bob's Albatross at the moment (as it has been); I have been up to my hair in school and have not reworked my website. BC was going to handle production of my molds but I haven't heard back from them (Dave R who lives close to Rick told me that Rick's been crazy busy, too).

I graduate nursing school in September and production and the website gets ramped back up (I won't be working 3 days a week and schooling 4, then!). I am doing small quantities of wood hulls over the winter, and have some of the fiberglass hulls hanging from the rafters of my shop in case anyone orders one. If you're desperate for a convoy :), pm me and we can discuss what's around.

13. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Wreno,
    If you want an Albatross hull I have two in stock. I'll probably keep this mold because the hull is short enough to ship by Canada Post air mail vs UPS or FedEx.

Bob Pottle

14. the frog

the frog Member

Under the wwcc rules that we have adopted the bearn would get 4 1/4 barrels per quadrant for a total of 16

15. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

yep, that's the Bearn alright. Having seen a Normandie dreadnought (what the Bearn was converted from) fight with a fixed quad stern in 7/32" caliber, I simply shudder to think what a Bearn with a quadruple in each quadrant, in a larger caliber, could do.

16. CaptainCook

CaptainCook Member

Dan, where did you find plans for Ryujo? She is my favorite CVL and I have looked for plans of her for a long time, with no luck. If you know of any place where I could get Ryujo plans, please tell.
    Garrett

17. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

One of the treaty guys I think has plans for a Ryujo. I'll shoot him an email and see if I can find out where he got them.

18. CaptainCook

CaptainCook Member

Great! That would be extremely helpful!