airplanes

Discussion in 'General' started by lalimerulez, May 1, 2007.

1. lalimerulez

lalimerulez Member

Hello everyone,

Just a quick idea that been bugging me for a while now. What if the Axis and Allied sides had bomber airplanes? But instead of dropping bombs the plane could use spurt guns? Any suggestions?

2. klibben

klibben Member

you mean, have RC airplanes strafing ships?

1. too dangerous, with people standing on shore and whatnot.
    2. Pointless..... 99.9% of hits would be on the deck (if you could even hit it period)...scoring no points, to get a side hit you would pretty much have to be nearly skimming the water...and thats too risky.
    3. Too risky! planes are extremely easy to crash, even when you're not concentrating on shooting a target, let alone a small moving one.
    4. Size comparison - a 1/144 plane is very small, although i'm sure with an outrageous budget it could be done.... its completely improbable.
    5. And you think it'd be hard to land a real plane on a real carrier!

however i have heard of groups trying to fix guns to planes for dogfights, but not sure whatever came of it. Most air-combat clubs simply involve ramming into each other until one falls out of the sky...

3. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Asides from the safety issue of a plane carrying a cannon, it's simply not possible at this point in time. It's not even possible to build and fly an RC plane in 1/144 scale. Some people have made 1/72 scale planes, but they need to use large props, so carrier landings are out of the question. They are also so light that you need to be indoors or it will get blown away. Components are in fractions of an ounce! CO2 equipment is flat out impossible, because it weighs much more than a plane that size.

I have looked into this before, and I came to the conclusion that a B-25 Mitchell bomber in 1/72 scale will most likely be the first RC plane to join in a RC warship battle. It is the largest plane to take off from a carrier during that time (look up the Doolittle Raid), and there is a club that battles in 1/72 scale. It will not carry a cannon, instead it will deploy mines or ram the target to score points for the team.

RC Plane Combat (they think they have a monopoly, and call themselves "RC Combat") mostly involves dragging a streamer behind your plane and trying to cut the other guy's streamer. The idea is that if you could cut their streamer, you were in a position to shoot them down. A lesser number of clubs fly "Zagi" flying wings and try to knock each other out of the sky. There is one RTF trainer that has a IR laser tag system as well.

4. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

Moving to General

5. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

Hmm... Maybe a Scale helicopter would be eisier to stand in one place. But unfair because Ships cant have guns pointing to the sky ( Too dangerous ) and an Experianced RC Helicopter Driver Could Probably Destroy A ship With Nothing But a Z-class Connon kit...

6. lalimerulez

lalimerulez Member

yea just a idea though

7. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

It would be cool to try and to have a real scale battle feild, But Like Tug Said befor Its too risky and dangerous ;)

8. lalimerulez

lalimerulez Member

9. TRich19

TRich19 Member

hey what if insted of cannons they had those small co2 cartridges and they could puncture the end and drop it in the water this would propel it and it would be exactly like a torpedo

10. TRich19

TRich19 Member

im going to try this out if i get it ill be a hero

11. lalimerulez

lalimerulez Member

the plane would prob be 2 small. but u could give it a shot

12. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

sounds... cartoonish.... Like tug and carl said before, 1/144 planes are the size you see on the back af the catapult of a ship.... Two, maybe three inches long. The torpedo, or Co2 Botle would run out of gas before it hit the water. Botom line, 1/144 planes. WAY TOO SMALL! But A 1/72 plane would be a little more likely:) You The only thing with the torpedo would be that if would travel way to slow to actulay penetrate the balsa of the ship ( due to the lack of explosives ) Real torpedos Traveld a Good 50 knots. Around 20 seconds in scale. So it would be like raming the French Le Treerible ( fastest recorded warship ) into another ship, which in fact, would not be very Devestating at all...

Wow i had fun writing that :)

13. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I don't think that is safe in any way. When you puncture the cartridge, you will end up with a rocket flying very fast. There have been instances at paintball fields where CO2 bottles have broken free from loose valves and killed or severely inured people.

Take a look at my earlier post in this thread to see what I have seen and heard about micro RC planes joining in combat with battleships.

14. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

Regardless of technical issues, safety, legality, etc...

What happens now when somebody brings a R/C plane, heli, or go-fast boat to a warship battle, even if it isn't entered into the combat?

JM

15. TRich19

TRich19 Member

well considering this cartridge is 3 inches long with a rounded end i think you can rule out killing someone maybe a bruise and it would work with a helicopter because it could hover over the water when it releases it

16. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

A .68 cal musket ball is under 3/4" long and round all over. They routinely blew entire limbs off with those...

And you clearly have no idea how fast a gas cylinder goes when it's just punctured and left to move freely. If you did it and dropped it over water (assuming it didn't wreck the copter), it would skip along over the surface of the water a a significant speed. Significant meaning if it hits you, it fractures parts of your chest wall if you're close by.

17. TRich19

TRich19 Member

yea well its moving over a thousand feet per second a co2 cartridge will be going 25 fps

18. TRich19

TRich19 Member

or less

19. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

I don't know, I seriously doubt anyone really has much interest in facing "torpedo bombers". We partake in surface combat, no more, no less.

Mike D

20. TRich19

TRich19 Member

ok ill drop it but still if someone made it work that would be cool