Alaska Class

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by BoomerBoy17, May 27, 2008.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Monk, did you say One hundred and seventy-five dollars? ($175.00?) for just the regulator? 80

2. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Well, i have been looking at ships for a while(since i happened across this site), and while the Alaska was my first choice, the Baltimore was my second.And now since it seems to me, that alaska is a bad choice, i chose the Baltimore.
    Now, from scratch u mean everything, right? no premade hull or amnything? Is it possible to buy a wooden Baltimore Hull? I dont think i am skilled enough to make a wooden hull.
    And what about the turrents? ive heard about termite armor, but im not sure what that is. And if the baltimore is a class 3.5, can it have rotating turrents(not that id use them, probably too complicated for me right now).
    And about the superstructure, what do people usually make that out of? How detail-oriented does it have to be? And is there a way to recover a sunken ship with other wading or diving for it(some foam device or something like that)? I know i have a lot of questions, but im trying to get a good perspective on it.

3. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

Asfor the Hull there are a couple of options wait for Barnstormers to get back in to production God knows how long I ordered mine in November of 06 still waiting you could see if buddy friend will build you one but i think he is backed up or I might give it a try for you if you are adventurous [;)] You can see my work on the USS BOSTON NETF newest battle cruiser link my hole ship weighs 13.6 [^] you would never fit a rotating gun in her the super structure is made out of 1/8 ply for first deck and hollowed out balsa glassed over for the rest and the two stacks are floats on her

4. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

The Baltimore is a tough build. We've had two of them constructed up here. Take care to build with light weight materials. the 14 ponds they are allowed seams like a lot but it gets used up fast. Get a Palmer Rock the Boat light regulator, use NIHM batteries 10 amp hours, becareful with the wood weight of the hull. We've had good luck with 1 1/2" 4 blade props.
    You have to make the hull yourself, no one has one for sale.
    The turrets will also have to be made yourself.
    Best set up for this ship is 3 stern guns and a 1/2 unit pump outlet. but use the large battlers connection pump with a high speed motor.
    Superstructure needs to be very light. ABS plastic is best. Only need to put anything over 1" sq. on the ship. basicly so anyone can tell what ship it is.
    When it sinks you walk out and get it. Never go to the pond wearing something you don't want to get wet.
    There is a DVD for sale on the MWC site that gives an overview of the hobby. There is also a How to Build a ship DVD for sale on this site in the for sale section.

5. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

That just made me think of pokemon: "Baltimore, I choose you!" "Gotta build 'em all!"

All joking aside, I have a Cleveland/Independence hull that doesn't fit into my building program right now. I first got it with the intention of selling it to any new members, but fitting four big gun cannons into a hull that size is difficult, if not impossible for a beginner. I need to check with my brother Carl (kotori87) first, but we will probably put it up for sale if anyone is interested.

6. BoomerBoy17

That looks very cool powder monkey, although im saddened by your use of child labor. But yea, i think that i could accomplish that, it doesnt seem too bad.And the wieght has to be low and distibuted evenly, right? How much do u think one of those hulls would run me? And thanx Bob for the info, i need all the help i can get.And there are no turrents for it? how about a generic one? And Gascan, if i could get my hands on a hull already made, im sure i would be persuaded to build a Cleveland.Just remember i would b in a fast gun club, so i would only get 3 cannons and a (1/2)pump. How much would that hull go for if u sell it?

7. BoomerBoy17

Hey, Powder Monkey, you are in the NETF? I live in CT. I just hope ur not a red sox fan. i didnt know u lived so close, where are u in MASS?

8. Tugboat

Boomer, BC has the Cleveland hulls already made.

9. Powder Monkey

Of course I'm a Red Sox fan! I live 20 min by ca north of Baston (not spelled wrong it’s spelled with the accent)

10. Powder Monkey

opps tug you are right it was $75 not $175 I always hit to many keys that’s why I’m always editing [;)]

11. BoomerBoy17

Too bad monkey, you could have turned to the dark side, u poor soul. Any way, i was looking, and doing some math in my head, and if i bye a hull, and all of the kits for a cleveland class at BC's and the plans from ur friend, it would be about $450. If u would, take a look at those kits for me, what else would i need to make the ship?

12. Powder Monkey

The Evil empire has fallen there last death star burned up on reentry from Yawkey Way. Daddies money pit dried up now there on an even playing field and woops look what happened There not even playing 500 ball now all those NY fans can cry over some regular paid ball players playing with the rest of us welcome to the real world. Well at least they have won one more game than that other NY team [;)] My soul is pure and not over paid for like the rest of you Evil doers I sleep well at night[^] Go Red Sox Nation[:D]

13. BoomerBoy17

We have stumbled, meerly redoing our managerial staff, and in that turmoil we have faultered. But beware, we shall return. And to tell the truth, 26 world series rings makes me sleep even better then u ever will. [^]. But again, what do u think it would cost extra then those kits, what would i need?

14. Tugboat

Are you guys still arguing about foosball?

15. Powder Monkey

$165.00 Hull Kit
    $108.00 Hardware Kit
    $109.00 Cannon Kit
    $45.00 Deck Kit
    $27.50 Bilge Pump
    $59.00 3.5 Oz C02 Bottle
    $34.00 Regulator
    $179.99 Radio System

$726.00
    thats from BC

16. Powder Monkey

26 world series paid for with blood money [B)] and you sleep well at night see like I said my soul is pure and our wins are earned not paid for but enjoy your season and see if you open your eyes next year when still playing under 500 ball [8D]

well tug You see up here we have other sports besides foosball and alligator resettling [;)]

17. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

Money well spent Powder. My purchase from Battler's Connection should arrive soon. You can't go wrong with Battler's Connection.

18. BoomerBoy17

No tug, not foosball. Baseball is the best sport in the world, period. My questiion, monk, was, is there anything else i would need to purchase to run a boat? And monk, Our wins were paid for with the money we got from the myraid people who actually like us. We sell [:ptickets because we win, we win because of our money, we get our money from the tickets. Its a good cycle that the BoSox could never match. [:p]. And im not a fair-weather spectator, i will watch them forever. That's the one credit i give to the BoSox fans, their fans never stopped believing, even when they were so bad, a 3yr-old little league team could destroy them.

19. Powder Monkey

That’s the trouble with these yankme fans their all like the scarecrow If I only had a brain they cant see the tree for the forest [;)]

20. Powder Monkey