An alternative to dope?

Discussion in 'General' started by Tugboat, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

It doesn't come off in the water?

2. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Nope. His assertion is that so long as you allow it a day or two (time depending on your local conditions) to dry through properly, its a non issue.

3. phill

phill Active Member

In the last reskinning, I found that I was out of pre silkspanned balsa and though I could find the dope, I couldn't find the thinner for it and I didn't want to waste a brush. I use the acrylic paints from the craft stores (and FM, Wal-Mart and such) because they have lots of pigment so cover well as well as only needing water to clean up. Well this time I just painted a layer of silkspan to the balsa using the acrylic. I then glued it to the hull and covered the outside with another sheet of silkspan. It too got painted to the balsa and hull. Painting the outer layer to the hull seals the seam between the balsa and the hull. So far it has worked as well as any of the ships that have the inner silkspan doped to the balsa. Only downside is that the acrylic doesn't come in clear. Not a major issue for most folks... Since the Acrylic is water based, it doesn't smell much. It doesn't cut it for smooth fiberglass near the props. You can hit that with a spray red on the initial build.

4. Tugboat

So you're saying I need to run to Hobby Lobby and get two shades of grey, or better yet, white and buff :) Thanks Nick and Phill! And everyone else who chimed in.

5. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

White and buff definitely.

6. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

A quick note: properly cured acrylic craft or model paint is quite waterproof, just keep window cleaner away from it. Windex and an old toothbrush are my strippers of choice on my scale stuff.

7. Tugboat

Oo! cool tip! Thanks :) I have some models sitting on a shelf unbuilt that may need that if my past efforts are any guide.

Followup note on the drop tests: The samples I did were in fact old balsa, which I re-ran the drop test on _without_ the outer layer of silkspan at all, and sstill failed. So it may not have been the TBIII. glad I sheeted with new balsa!! I will be re-trying the TBIII test with new balsa!

8. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

I prefer the Gunze and Tamiya paints. Gunze has a better color selection, but Tamiya paints are much easier to find.

Another note: Don't bother with gloss paints or clear gloss finishes. Google "The complete Future" and lean the power and mysteries of Future floor polish--Now sold as "Pledge Floor with the power of Future". Truly an amazing tool.