Anatomy of a TyngTech “Stynger” Cannon

Discussion in 'Weapons & Pneumatics' started by SteveT44, Sep 19, 2014.

1. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    dietzer likes this.
  2. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Nicely thought out design. I may try something similar if a certain rule gets passed in the MWCI.

The curved up-tube might not be critical. The cannons rely on pressure, not flow, to pop the bb through the breech o-ring. Flow is useful for building pressure quickly. So far the 90 breech fitting hasn't limited flow to the point that rate of fire or velocity is affected.
    Have you given thought to using a stainless tube for the up-tube? Steel break line is soft and can (has) deformed over time as BBs pass through it. It is also easily dented, so any part of the tube exposed to possible bb fire may get dented during a sortie. It has happened to me a good number of times before I switched to stainless tubing for the up-tube.

3. SteveT44

On a SS up-tube, the galvinized steel brake tube is easy to solder too. With stainless I'll need to explore different bonding methods. I probably wont bother though. I'm in no way an uber active battler so the steel line should last for a while. I'll just make sure it's well protected.
    The following may be utter nonsense, but the way I see it.....
    Low velocity high pressure gas pushes the bb past the o-ring, expanding, lowering pressure gas, accellerates it down the barrel. Accelerating gas when it hits a tight 90 degree fitting will slow (and build pressure) at the direction change at which point it will then re-accelerate and expand for a second time. This added step robs energy from the equation and reduces bb velocity.

4. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

Thanks Steve,
    I will try to incorporate many of these ideas in my next set of cannons. I have a much "simpler" shop to produce from so may not be able to reproduce all of your features.

Keith

5. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

You know, stuff like this is my second favorite part of the hobby: seeing how different people approach common design elements. I just love how something as simple in principle as a fast gun cannon can have so many variants. Fascinating work Steve. If it looks like I will be battling more MWCI due to my recent change in location, I just might have to incorporate some of the design elements into the cannons I build.

Well done!

6. bugler

bugler Member

Neat... I honestly cannot understand this system at all... It is above my head.... maybe I will figure it out later...

7. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

somewhere on this forum are animated gifs explaining how both big gun and fast gun cannons work. Those should be posted and stickied...

8. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Find them and send me the link and I'll sticky them. I'd spend the time but I'm working on the files for the printed sub to share with you :)

9. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

what are the o-ring sizes that worked best for you?

10. SteveT44

If your talking the breach orings, I bought those so long ago that I don't recall. I remember picking through the bin at my local old fashioned hardware store pushing bb's though different sizes until I found the right size.

11. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

if you happen to have calipers and can give me wall thickness I can figure out the rest from that