Andrea Doria

Discussion in 'Construction' started by BoomerBoy17, Aug 25, 2008.

1. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

hey guys, Im 99% sure im going to buy the Andrea Doria Kit from BC. I want to know (Mike/ crzyhawk, if u see this, email me)how many 3/8 and 1/4 inch ribs i can have. Also, i want to know how to make, and all about water channeling. thanks for all the help

2. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

The AD is 51.08" long. 15% solid is 7.6625" take 2" at the bow & 1" at the stern leave 4.6625" for ribs. If each rib is 1/4" that's 18 ribs with .1625" left over. You can add part of that to rib to make it 3/8". Then .0375 or 1/32 is left to add to another rid. If you need to get that crazy...

3. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

There is a rib calculator on the Treaty site.

4. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I think you'll be happy with the Doria. It's a good ship to slug with :) For water channeling, I suggest looking through David Ranier's build thread at the water channeling he does with driveway sealer. It's quite professional looking, probably works exceedingly well, too.

5. B24

B24 Member

One of the key things with water channelling is having the bottom of inside of the hull angled. i.e. if your boat is sitting level and you drop water to in the bow it runs to the pump area and the same with the stern. I build the bottom up with foam and then shape it with a trought in the center. I then use the West system (an epoxy). You raise the stern when you pour the Bow and vise-versa thus giving you a guarantee slant to the pump.
    I see all the time combatants who went to get lengths to put this channel in the bottom of their boat. Only to have it the same level as the bottom of the boat. Water flows on gravity it will not travel to your pump just because your pump says "I'm on!, come here so I can pump you out". When you take your boat out of the water and it's done pumping the only water left standing is in the pump area which is the lowest part of the inside hull.

Danny

6. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Bob answered that far better then I would have hehe. Doria should be a good ship.