Andrea Doria

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by Matt1235, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Matt1235

Matt1235 Member

It looks like I'll have to get a firearms id for the cannons. Curse new jersey gun laws!

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Firearms ID for BB guns?

3. Matt1235

Matt1235 Member

Yup it's crazy. But the law says I only need the id to purchase them and said nothing against building them (hint hint) but I'll probably get one just in case. That is at least what I've heard from SnipeHunter.

4. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Yeah. After looking at the laws some more and talking it over with my buddy who has a small gunsmith business it looks that way. Well technically you'd only need the license to buy or transport them. For buying them you'd need to go through an FFL too.

I've never seen BB guns on store shelves here, not sure how Airsoft is classified because they sell that off the shelf.

It is what it is.

5. Matt1235

Matt1235 Member

I've heard that "geek" guns are the simplest. How do they work?

6. Tugboat

New Jersey requires an FFL for a BB gun transfer?

7. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Firegun transfers require an FFL. If NJ classifies a BB gun as a firearm (which it sounds/appears like NJ does) then you dont really have a choice but to use an FFL. (Now if you want to talk about if NJ laws are stupid/silly/logical/whatever that can be a separate conversation but until we hear from a legal expert, I'm of the opinion that NJ probably does in fact consider our cannons "Firearms")

In terms of our hobby I'm not sure I've ever heard of this happening but that doesn't make it any more or less legal.

Building them on the other hand doesn't require anything is a rather easy to do.

Also disassembling them back into non-descript plumbing parts is pretty easy to do so I really dont think it is much of an issue. Also I doubt there will be a crack down on cannons used for our little hobby until something bad happens involving them. There a more dangerous/important things to worry about in NJ, like driving on I-80 or the turnpike....

8. Matt1235

Matt1235 Member

I don't no if this will work but my grandma lives in Philly so if they don't consider them firearms there I could give her money to buy the guns

9. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

Like Snipe said they are plumbing parts when uncoupled so "for get aboutit" this is really not a real issue. There have been plenty of battles in NJ and one
    on the Lakehurst Naval base (just too cool) so the legality of our hobby hasn't been a problem in NJ. All of the times we went to the local government people to OK
    our event and they are all very helpfull generally.

10. Matt1235

Matt1235 Member

Lakehurst? That's pretty cool I would love to see a battle there

11. Matt1235

Matt1235 Member

All of this information is very helpful. I think it would be best to get an ID and FFL just to play it safe. Hopefully you guys could have another battle at Lakehurst cuz that is really cool and a whole lot closer than battles in New York

12. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

Lakehurst is unlikely because of 9/11. That base is now doing things that are very hush hush.

13. Matt1235

Matt1235 Member

Oh I see and i don't blame them

14. Matt1235

Matt1235 Member

Will any of you guys be heading up to New York for the Labor Day battle?

15. Tugboat

You don't need an FFL. A Federal Firearms License is what you need to open a gun store, or more specifically to buy and sell guns across state lines. not something that people typically have unless they're in business or are serious gun collectors. State gun license/ID, probably good in that area.

16. Matt1235

Matt1235 Member

Well thats good to know cuz I don't think I'll be owning a gun business any time soon. No use getting what u don't need. Thanks tugboat

17. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Also FFLs aren't cheap and require that you do a certain number of transfers per year to keep them active. :)

18. Matt1235

Matt1235 Member

That's another reason that I wouldn't get one. Getting off of the license topic... Is it better to use poppit valves or solenoids?

19. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

A couple of us will be up there. You should stop out.
    It's going to be a blast of a weekend, it always is.

20. Matt1235

Matt1235 Member

I will do my best to go. So far my family has no plans for the holiday.