Another Battle

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Treaty Combat Fleet' started by sinkin321, Sep 18, 2008.

1. ChuckR

ChuckR Active Member

We can get bottles refilled at Bruces Online in New Minas for$.28/once

2. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

Chuck: The small tank will be at the lake for refills so its ok to come empty.
    After you turn left at the irving it is 7.2kms to the gate of the house(second gate on the left)
    if you hit uniacke mines road you went 100ft to far.

3. ChuckR

ChuckR Active Member

Thanks John but we will be using the 12 gram capsules. What is everyone doing for dinner. If we are there trough dinner maybe someone could bring a small BBQ.

4. TheMackster

TheMackster Member

Well, I'm officially up and awake now that I've dumped 2 coffees into me. I'll be picking up my son and his friend around 8:30 and heading for the lake early to arrive hopefully about 9:15am.

Chuck, if you're not on the road yet, I have the 12gm adapter in the car along with extra capsules. See you guys in a couple of hours.

5. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

Well its done, over, finished.
    Thanks to all for a great day!!!
    Attending were: Bob P.,Steve H., Steve C.,Jay J., Mack, Malcolm, Chuck, Joy, Gregery, Rob C., Jason C., me, and some kid named William.
    First battle saw the Nagato, Scharnie and konig defending Shinano against Washington, mineture, Roberts and VDT ( i think). Washington and VDT both sank but the unarmed Roberts made it through.
    Second battle was ww1 vs ww11 or i thought. After i emptied my side mount at Bob it turned out we were on the same side (sorry Bob )in this one Mineture and Washington sank as well as VDT, and after a while Roberts went down.
    Site worked out great, fun was had, ships were sunk and pics will follow...all in all a good day.
    If I left anything out or got it wrong post it.
    pics will be done from the office Mon.

6. TheMackster

TheMackster Member

And here's the Roberts on it's first voyage.
    [​IMG]

I should add that John had 3, count 'em 3, boats on the water before anyone else had their first boat ready to go. :)

7. TheMackster

TheMackster Member

And a few more pix I shot during the day, although most of my shooting was video.

Jay was called in for his expert opinion and he was pretty sure
    it was sunk. :)
    [​IMG]

Ramming speed, Mr Sulu
    [​IMG]

and here comes Bob!
    [​IMG]

8. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Very cool mack. good pictures

9. TheMackster

TheMackster Member

Here's a few more from today's get-together:

Chuck and Joy working on Miss Mog
    [​IMG]

Busy Captains commanding their ships
    [​IMG]

A picture from the battle
    [​IMG]

Yet another battle photo
    [​IMG]

and guess who's busy working on his ship?
    [​IMG]

The surgery continues:
    [​IMG]

The dreaded failing bilge-pump repairs:
    [​IMG]

10. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Do you have any video Mack?

11. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

As you can see from Mack's pics (I hope he posts the videos too), the NATCF and NABS held a joint battle today (Oct. 19).

John Coffill did a superb job organizing the event at the new site - the lake next to historic Uniacke House. The lake is part of the huge Uniacke Estate and its operators have graciously allowed us to use it for a battle site (now that they know we're not a bunch of nuts with BB guns!). The lake covers a few acres, is shallow and is located between the Halifax and Annapolis Valley areas where the two main groups of r/c naval combat hobbyists reside.

The first battle of the day was a convoy scenario with Shinano being defended by Jay's Scharnhorst, Steve Crane's Nagato (IRCWCC and MWC ships respectively), and Rob's Konig, and attacked by my Minotaur, John's Washington, and Jason's VdT, with William(?) running the small and as yet unarmed HMS Roberts through the melee.

The attackers were unsuccessful, losing VdT due to a clogged pump, and Washington to BB damage plus several large splits in its sheeting. Shinano, running as a convoy ship with no pump, took several hits below the waterline and was down by the bow at the end of the battle.

The weather was chilly (8 C, 46 F) so no one wanted to go swimming. That may have had something to do with the sinks occuring close to shore.

I'd brought armoed cruiser HMS Black Prince for Steve Hill to use but just before launch the Palmer regulator had an internal failure and vented all CO2. Also unable to battle was Chuck and Joy's DD Mogador which had an ESC failure.

The second battle saw Shinano replaced in the Axis fleet by Lutzow, operated by Mack. There were more technical problems and speculation that the increasingly chilly temperature was a factor. Nagato dominated this battle with it's reliable KIP solenoids, circuit boards and great turning ability. It could almost turn with armored cruiser Minotaur, which gave me some scary moments!

Once again VdT went under with a pump failure (electrical this time). Washington sank again and Minotaur had its first ever sink with ~20 secs left 'on five', also with a pump failure. (Faulty microswitch - the pump came back on when I was on the highway to Halifax and ran steadily for half an hour!) Roberts displayed it's amazing maneuverability, turning in 4' circles, but was eventually hit below the waterline by Nagato, and having no pump yet slowly submerged.

There was a bit of show and tell as Rob Clarke displayed his nice new fiberglass HMS Renown hull and a cruiser hull for the 2 unit British Arethusa Class. He also loaned me the Profile Morskie plans for my next hull project: HMS QE and Valiant.

Thanks to all NATCF and NABS members who attended and made the event fun. With the dropping temps this may have been our last battle for 2008.

Bob

12. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Very cool, sounds like you guys had a ball.

13. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Awesome! I love seeing those ACRs out there.

14. TheMackster

TheMackster Member

Tried and failed to post some videos. First try got an error trying to upload a file >5 Meg.

I then editted a small video to 1.8M and got a different error in trying to upload it. Will try again or maybe try and post on youtube and link to it maybe?

15. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

I think the Arethusas would be pretty nice boats to see on the water. A very simple design, and easy to set up with a .5 unit pump and a single 75 round gun if someone was looking to build "on the cheap". They look pretty nifty too.

16. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

Had an email from the director of the park who thanked us for leaving the park the way we found it, and then to curse me out cause her hubby thought they were really cool and wouldn't shut up about it.looks like we have a permant spot if we want it.
    Thanks guys.

17. JasonC

JasonC Active Member

thats great john. and yes mac youtube and linkig would b a good idea

18. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

19. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

Malcolm does it look like "death came for Washington" or is it just me?

20. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member