Another Build Session!

Discussion in 'Southeast Attack Squadron' started by Tugboat, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

No date set, yet, but Brian K is looking at holding it at his shop. I will have to take some leave to make it, but hey, that's what my one floating holiday is for...

If Brian can't hold it, I will open my shop again, just ignore the hulls hanging from the rafters.

When I get a date I will post it here. I think Brian is aiming for January sometime.

2. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Excellent! I've been holding off on starting a new wood ship until the next build. Guess I better get the rib and keel templates ready! :)

3. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Mike, did you get your Lutzow done already, that was fast. I was over at Rick's yesterday working on my PE, and Don and I finally got Rick to start his new Lutzow yesterday. We got the rudder in, and the propulsion system. We put in the new BC single motor, dual shaft gearbox, and she works great.

Boy does that new PE heavy cruiser hull look sweet, he had 1 sitting in the shop, I may have to build one myself in the future.

4. Tugboat

What are you starting now, Mike? If we're lucky, the lil hobby scrollsaw will be joined by a bandsaw...

As far as BC hulls, their Cleveland hull rocks the free world. If I wasn't making my own hulls, I'd buy one :)

5. mike5334

The Lutzow is coming onlone nicely. The water channeling is in, the decks fitted, rudder isntalled, and shafts put in. I'm using the same single motor/dual shaft gearbox from BC. Excellent gearbox! The gearbox output shafts are the same distance width as the prop shafts. Heh.

As for the new wood ship ... it's going to be a Bearn aircraft carrier. All wood hull of course. I plan on arming it as a multi-format ship, i.e. Treaty (5 units), MWC/IRC (2 units), and as a convoy ship. It will be my convoy ship for the Nats.
    By the way, look at the various ship lists and check how many carriers have twin rudders. :) Only two ships and the Bearn is one of them.

Oh! Hey Clark, I'm looking for a ship to build for Battlestations. Any ideas? :)

6. Tugboat

Hmmm... still feeling Froggy, or looking to broaden your horizons?

Do I need to print a set of Bearn plans, or do you have some?

7. mike5334

Kinda looking to stay Froggy with a Suffren, though might go with something like a Sharny or Lutzow/Deffliger. Something around 80" length, twin rudders, and will balance out the Axis/Allied ratio of ships already built for Battlestations.

I got a set of Bearn plans by downloading them from the French web site and having Copy Max size them to 144th specs.

You know, it's too bad that Battlestations kinda limits carriers. Trying to make little airplanes that launch off carriers and hit other ships would be very difficult. Carriers played a huge part in WW2, but seems to be neglected in most rule formats. That's whats nice about the Treaty rules; carriers are simplified into units and given enough units to make them a viable combat ship. I'm excited about a Treaty rules Bearn. It has 5 units, twin rudders, and is relatively short. It should turn very well. It's only downside is it is slow compared to normal warships.

Hmm ... I should take part of this conversation into the Battlesations forum. :)

By the way, welcome back!

8. Tugboat

Being that I already have the Surcouf plans in 1/96, I will someday do that one. For right now, I'm still deciding.

9. djranier

Sounds good Mike, a few more Axis Lutzows fighting will be a great help for the SAS.

I got a new lathe for my Birthday, so I have been bad, and playing with it too much, so not alot has been happening on my new PE for the last 6 weeks.

But in the last 3 days, I got the windows cut out, the ribs renforced, since I plan on using Brians pop bottle armour to save some weight, and a few other tricks we both came up with in the last few days, we have been emailing back and forth giving each other some new ideas, and things to try. I just finished the 4 turrets, I just made them out of hardwood, and cut and sanded them to shape, I will just hollow out enough for the guns to fit. And got everything covered with resin for waterproofing. I should be able to start getting everthing put together in the next few days.

Either of you making it in Feb for the battle, I know Brian has signed up?

10. Tugboat

I'd love to, but I have to work to pay those medical bills... I plan on making the April battle, I'll have some leave saved up by then. Brian might be bringing one of my Kent hulls to show around, if he's got room.

11. djranier

Sounds good, I think Brian is having the April battle up in Savannah, maybe I can finally make one, if work would stop getting in the way. [:)]

12. Ragresen

Ragresen Member

So do we have a date set for a build yet? I know I sure would love to get to one even if it means I am brining a plug I need to work on along with me. My current ship is in Drydock over at Davids.

13. mike5334

I'll be at the Feb battle, work willing.

14. Tugboat

My work isn't willing, but I will make the April battle in Savannah. It's also likely that I won't make Nats, although given its distance, Brian and I had discussed a smaller battle in the southeast for those of us who can't get up there.

We don't have a date set, January snuck up on us. I have an email out to Brian to find out when he's doing it.

15. Tugboat

Hey guys, I just found out that the build session is THIS SUNDAY!!! I think Brian wanted to get it in before school starts on Monday (he's a prof). We'll do another one in a bit, never fear...

Does anyone who doesn't have directions, need them?

16. zackcon2

zackcon2 Member

is it over now i think i missed it

17. Tugboat

I think ya did ;) There'll be more soon. I may have one at my shop in March. I know that Brian K is planning another one at his place, maybe in February.