another club type

Discussion in 'General' started by jimmybeekeeper, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

When NABS had its peak membership in the late 1990's/ early 2000's (around 15 people) we sometimes managed biweekly battles in June - Sept. but that was with about 8 keen members, and usually less than 6 captains at an event. Marriage, children, moves out of the area and longer work hours put an end to that.

2. Astrosaint

Astrosaint Active Member

Greetings:
    In considering the matter, the hobby has lost ground. In Florida, the MWCI based club did semi regular combat events in the center of the state up until 6 years back. People moving around seemed to be a factor. The group seemed to have reformed and hold events near Georgia Southern, 7 hours drive from where I live.
    There are a number of boaters in the Central Florida area, but they all travel north of the state of Florida if they are active at all. Florida seems to be a lost cause.
    :crying:
    Manuel Mejia, Jr.

3. jimmybeekeeper

jimmybeekeeper Active Member

yeah 6 hours one way battle then return 6 hours is a bit much or stay over and pay a hotel most folks wouldnt do that 4 times a month

4. jimmybeekeeper

ok so the math seem simple enough i just need 20 or more combatants within a 250 mile radius simple enough .
    ahemmm

5. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

The host in FLA who put on those events got older and had health issues. He still comes to battles, just can't host them. The group never broke up, just the location of the battles shifted north to Statesboro because we can host. We do have monthly battles. Weekly is really too much to ask of most people with family plans, work issues, etc. I'd rather have 10 boats monthly than 4 boats more frequently.

We also got to where we'd have 3 battles on Saturday and 2 on Sunday (vice 2 on Sat, one on Sun), so the out-of-towners get more bang for their travel buck.

6. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

When you travel for battles I use the formula to see if it's "worth" going. But I have still gone if the numbers don't work out because it's fun.

Captains + Sorties > Total Drive Time

Sooooooo in your case 10 captains + 10 sorties > 14 hour drive time. No reason you can't go.
    For me Wade's is a 39 hour drive round trip. We get 12-14 sorties in that weekend, so if there's 15 people at the battle it's worth it.

Books on CD. Drive battle drive.

7. jimmybeekeeper

thats round trip 39 hours or 1 way bob?
    b

8. jimmybeekeeper

never mind bob damn cell phone and old eyes

9. Ace_Austin

Ace_Austin Active Member

If anyone wants to have a pickup fight, I have a half acreish pond at my house in Pensacola. I'd be happy to host. Seeing boats shooting would likely give me the kick in the arse to finish up my Lexingtons. I have a recovery boat and the BBQ out here isn't shabby.

10. jimmybeekeeper

thats a kind offer thank you i personally dont have a boat yet i just started building

11. Astrosaint

Astrosaint Active Member

Pensacola is a bit more managable for me. At least it is in Florida.
    MMJR

12. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

So....how does the formula work on international battles?

13. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Jimmy, how far is it to Louisville, KY for you? McSpuds is starting to gain some traction in setting up a club there.

14. jimmybeekeeper

i dont know exactly between 4 and 6 hoursi am 60 miles south west of knoxville about 30 miles south of harriman tn which is right on hwy 40 that runs east to west , i think loisville is over nashville maybe a bit to the east