Another lib build this time by a newb.

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by nativecaptain, Jun 28, 2013.

1. nativecaptain

nativecaptain Member

Hello out there this my second attempted to build R/C boat. My first following the great tugboat, tutorail a few years ago. While this time im going for liberty ship, to get prosses down of adding all the compontes besides guns. Then i will plan to attempted edgar qiunet. time line for liberty is a year or so. Do to being busy. as for club rules not sure yet. will be 144th scale. will post first pic soon

2. nativecaptain

nativecaptain Member

Update on little lib ive finished cutting out all the frame peices sanded and rought fitted them. hopfully sometime in the next week i will start glueing her together.For the bottom and other impentrable areas i plan to block in with basla then fiber glass. After that im not sure how im going to procced. Still have not found a 1/32 sheeting material. also need to figure out which rule set im going to build to soon. i know its going to be for fast guns.

Cant remeber how to add images to post.
    ps if anyone has any tips about liberty ship builds can u let me know.

3. nativecaptain

nativecaptain Member

[​IMG]
    side view.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

This looks like its coming along nicely. It looks like you're making your subdeck out of 1/8" ply? If so, you're probably going to want to add some material there to strengthen that a bit. (Typical builds use 1/4" and then the 1/8" deck on top of that).

5. nativecaptain

nativecaptain Member

where should I put the extra strips? is it to keep the shape or for keeping the top deck in place.
    What I was thinking of doing was to put 1/4 inch ply piece over the three holes to cover from side to side.
    Thanks for the advice.

6. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

What Nick was saying, was to glue extra strips of 1/8" ply wood to the bottom of the 1/8" sub-deck to make it 1/4".
    Mike Mangus did this on his Bearn thread, page two to be exact: http://rcnavalcombat.com/Forum/tabid/58/aff/566/aft/407920/afv/topic/afnp/480576/Default.aspx
    By the way, the Liberty is looking good.
    Beaver

7. nativecaptain

nativecaptain Member

Ok so quick update. Ive gotten most of the bottom pieces of balsa in and rough sanded the nose too. Not to sure about the last two section how to do it? see the second picture. next things to do are the prop, drive shaft, rudder, motors. not sure about these areas. found some info about prop and rudder. dont have a clue about drive shaft motor, and other electronics.

Side note found out today that my school has a nice workshop that i should be aloud to use.:):)

8. nativecaptain

nativecaptain Member

One more step closer to pond domination!!!

9. nativecaptain

nativecaptain Member

is 4'' wide balsa sheeting big enough for sheeting bigger ships in 144?

10. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

yup should work fine.

11. nativecaptain

nativecaptain Member

12. nativecaptain

nativecaptain Member

Update. Got most of the bottom blocked in and sanded. Got most of the mats for props and rudder. but dont know what type and size motor are needed and electronics.

13. nativecaptain

nativecaptain Member

14. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Looks really good, Captain! The sanded hull looks beautiful!
    Keep up the good work!
    Beaver

15. nativecaptain

nativecaptain Member

I have few question.
    1. what size and type of motor is needed for the drive system or where can i look to figure it out?
    2. what is the best way to mark and drill the hole for the stuffing tube? i only have a drill.
    3. would it be smart to wait to skin the ship before i have the radio and electrical components installed?

On another note im looking into build another ship soon i believe i have narrowed it down to two ships the edgar quinet since its smaller and has rear mounted cannons. or the dunkerque which is has more units (so more compicted and harder to set up the systems) I just really find tht the dunkerque looks amazing.

I would greatly appreciate some input.

Soon to be Captain

16. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I bought a long (like a foot long) 5/16" drill bit at Lowes that I use for stuffing tube holes.

For a twin-prop ship, I make a small template with two circles the diameter of the props, set 1/8" apart. I dril a 1/8" hole in the middle, and slide the driveshafts through the holes, and line it up against the back bottom of the hull to see where the shafts should go. If the shafts won't be parallel (some people skew them out at the motor end to fit a pump between the motors), make the marks a little outboard of where the shafts hit the hull. There's a pic of one of my templates in the 'Tugboat's Roma(n) vacation thread in the build section.

Wait to skin the ship until last :)

17. Gruuler

Gruuler Member

Mmm, wish I would have thought about skinning after I drilled the hole for the stuffing tube :).

18. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I've put too many fingers thru balsa sheeting while still in the build process to count... So the ship goes naked until the guts are in. Having it unsheeted also makes it easier to work on the water channelling (if you take it to the bottom of the windows).

19. nativecaptain

nativecaptain Member

Ok so i got the prop, stuffing tubes, sanding of the bottom of the ship, and rudder.

Im planning on ordering from hobby king the following items. The list is for two ship the Liberty and Dunkerque. I hope two ships in working order at most times.

Turnigy 450 H2218 Brushless outrunner 2100KV x 6

HobbyKing Brushless Car ESC 30A w/ Reverse x 2

Hextronik 5010 servo x 7

Hobby King Programming Card for Car ESC

Hobby King 2.4Ghz 6Ch Tx & Rx V2 x 20

4mm Drive dog x 8

Dogbone x 3

I hope im not missing anything beside batteries. Not sure what size batteries are needed. Im ordering from hobby king because every where else i go, the prices around here so high.

20. nativecaptain

nativecaptain Member

Has any one use a paste like epoxy before for fiber glassing the bottom of the ship?