Another lib build this time by a newb.

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by nativecaptain, Jun 28, 2013.

1. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

I really would not recommend it. It will be very difficult to wet out the glass cloth and get it smooth without pulling it apart. You can get small bottles of finishing epoxy at most hobby shops that will do a much better job. If the budget doesn't allow for the epoxy, even polyester resin would be better than the thick epoxy.

2. nativecaptain

nativecaptain Member

Ok was just wondering because when i bought the epoxy early this week and when i open can and seen that its was a paste. Ill just return it and try find a different epoxy. I
    know for next time.

3. nativecaptain

nativecaptain Member

Hello, its been a while since any update. been busy with the end of summer classes.
    I have pretty much finished the hall and super stucture that is going to go on the ship. everything has been fiberglassed and a about 90% do water proofing little lib.
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/...9373471889

Had a few problems with the fiberglass at the bow and stern, but i think it is still good.

Now just need to wait for the electronics to show up to finish her up.

4. nativecaptain

nativecaptain Member

Hey guysl its been a long time but, im back after winter hibernation season.(School) . Hoping to get in the water by the end of this summer, before I start my internship.

5. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

6. nativecaptain

nativecaptain Member

Hey so got a good look at what I have. Looks like I have most of the electrical components needed. Is there anywhere to see how to hook up and install the different components effectively.

7. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Can you give us a list of the electrical components you have?

8. nativecaptain

nativecaptain Member

Yea ill post it them by the end of this week, been a lot more busy then i expected. I have manage to make a motor mount, and bought a universal joint for prop shaft. in the last week.

I have the following part, dont have the name of each item

Servo
    motor
    battery
    receiver( Do i need to build water proof box)
    programming card

this ship not going to have pump or guns.

9. nativecaptain

nativecaptain Member

Hey got some more work done this past week.
    Build and installed mount for my servo, should have everything ready for steering.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    As for motor, tried to build a motor mount out of old metal bracket. didnt work. so trying again out of extra plywood.
    Any cheap ideas for water tight box for reciver.

10. Beaver

Looks good! Don't forget to drill some small holes in the wooden mount so you can put in screws to secure the servo, otherwise the torque from the rudder will pull the servo out.

Instead of having a watertight box (WB), you could just pot the receiver in E6000 adhesive. Two or three layers of E6000 will do, just don't get any glue on the pins. Best to put masking tape over them. (any tape will do)

Too bad the metal mount didn't work. They can be tricky, but are nice when built. I built one for my cruiser out of angled aluminum. If you're interested, here is the process I used.

1. Drill a hole in the center of the mount. (hole diameter is dependent on the motor requirements)
    2. Draw two lines on either side of the hole straight up the top of the mount.
    3. Cut the lines with a hacksaw.
    4. Measure how far from the center the screw holes need to be. (might be easier before you drill out the center)
    5. Drill holes at those two marks with a drill bit smaller than the head of the mounting screws.
    6. Repeat steps 2&3 to the holes.

Now you have an adjustable motor mount that will last a millennium. There are photos of this type of mount in my Suffren build. (page 14)

Good luck. :)

11. nativecaptain

nativecaptain Member

Going to drill the holes tomorrow, hopefully. I read most of 34 pages your suffren build thread last night,nice work. Also made a new motor mount im happy with it even if its overly big. pic tomorrow maybe. lol.

Im a little nervous about water proofing my servo and receiver. looked at tuggs water proofing again for servo hopefully dont mess up.

question for the sheeting process is it really toilet paper or is that a joke.
    also i have a ecs to waterproof two or ill just try to build a water containing box =) with my skills

12. nativecaptain

nativecaptain Member

One More question have you battled her yet?

13. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

If you opt for a watertight box, one of the easiest ways is to buy a small plastic container (glad, tupperware, something like that) from WalMart or wherever. Drill small holes for the wires to come out thru the side, glue / epoxy wires into holes with connectors on inside and out. Connect up your receiver on inside to your leads, connect ESC and rudder servo on outside. Close lid & you're done!

14. Beaver

Thanks! No, she hasn't battled to date. Probably next year.

15. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

My liberty has battled and been repeatedly sunk over the last twelve years with no waterproof (watertight) box at all.
    I simply put my receiver in a latex glove and wrapped the leads with that blu tac poster putty stuff.
    A small cable tie acts as a clamp to seal it.
    The servo itself has holes drilled in its case and has been treated with a silicone spray.
    I am still running the original servo.
    I don't like watertight boxes just on principal.

16. nativecaptain

nativecaptain Member

Hello everybody hope you enjoyed the long weekend. Over the weekend I've gotten a bit of work done.
    I have a question about sheeting process, in not sure if i need to use lacquer/ varnish to seal the balsa wood, and what is the best way to attach the sheeting to the ship.

[​IMG]
    Sheeting with tissue paper.
    Plus I ve gotten my motor mount and battery holder complete.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last but not least. my plan for how everything should be arranged[​IMG]

17. Cannonman

Cannonman Ultimate Hero :P -->> C T D <<--

I think you want to seal the balsa with something, what may vary by rule set, but I'm not sure. Seems like I have read some rules that limit the amount of silkspan, and the type and amount of coatings. I used Nitrate dope to seal my balsa.

18. Cannonman

Cannonman Ultimate Hero :P -->> C T D <<--

I think you want to seal the balsa with something, what may vary by rule set, but I'm not sure. Seems like I have read some rules that limit the amount of silkspan, and the type and amount of coatings. I used Nitrate dope to seal my balsa.

19. nativecaptain

nativecaptain Member

Going to have to try sheeting again, bc i done go messed it up. lol I should have made sure i understood how to use contact cement. going to try again next week hopefully. Ihave been very busy this week with my internship.

20. nativecaptain

nativecaptain Member

will welcome any tips. =p