Ante up!

Discussion in '1/96 Battlestations' started by Tugboat, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Was thinking Aigle, it's big enough to do without too much drama :) That also lets it be... circumspect in choosing sides, depending on who shows. At the fall SE regional, our demo battle will likely be Georgia (slow but turns well) and Aigle (Free French) versus the mighty Jean Bart (Vichy running dog). I predict it'll be fun but Jean Bart will kill Georgia. Almost makes me want to build a WW2 battlewagon to answer his challenge.

2. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Wasn't Aigle circa 1931? Now a French WWI Contre Torpeilleur would be a challenge. Say a Bisson. 985 tons I think . Or the positively petit V-105.

3. Tugboat

I think Bisson would help with the mismatch in strength, assuming it gets in hits with half its armed tubes. Which reminds me to re-read the torpedo thread to see what we decided on...

4. Anachronus

I do have the HMS Mary Rose in 1/96. I am not sure the plans are right though. I printed the hull profiles and the ribs were too tall, especially considering that the hull profile was too long. (Not proportionally either)

She is interesting, an Admiralty M-Class, sunk in 1917 by German light cruisers. 3 shafts and 1 rudder.

5. JKN

JKN Member

I have digital plans on a cd for the indiana class. its 250th but I sized them up for the 144 im building(another 4 weeks and I can start, stupid broken arm!)
    the draft is about 7 feet to shallow and the length is 50ft too short.
    To solve the prob I set the ribs so I can just add the right length center keel to fix length, the draft does seem to big a prob for treaty rules ive read.

It could easily be up scalled to 96th:)

6. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

Someday I would like to build a 1/96 VU. She's got plenty of firepower with 12x12" guns and 12x6" guns and 4xTT (though only two TTs are in the broadside). I managed to get all 12x12 inchers into a 1/144 hull, it'll only get easier. Twin rudders certainly helps. Even better, she'll be nice and small and easy to transport and handle for a battleship. I don't think I could stand the logistics of a larger vessel.

7. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Sounds good! So lets change the "easily could" and "someday I would" to 'will" and "today I will". ;)

Somewhat seriously though, we need to get ships on the water versus saying we will. I've pretty much given up building any 1/144 ships this year to press with a 1/96 build. I want this to happen in 2011!

8. Tugboat

With ya, Mike. I will post pics of Georgia's hull this weekend.

9. Mark

Mark Active Member

thought all you guys gave up on me, Tug I still have that plug for the shimakaze sitting around, any more progress on the I-400 plug mold I sent you? Yamato needs a little work to be battle ready as does the shimakaze and one of my 2 I-400. haven't done much with them because not too many people around me have much extra cash for hobbies right now, that and my wife just had our 2nd last month(not that these are excuses) If you guys are ready I'm willin'
    P.S Tug still no word back from the old Battlestations site

10. Tugboat

I shaved the bulging parts and started filling with a mix of sawdust and epoxy over closed-cell foam that won't shrink/expand. I need good plans for the SS so I can make an SS plug. Haven't worked on the Surcouf plug in a while, though. It's stored safely for work later :)

11. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

Mikey,
    How old was Vance and Marina in that photo??? they both look like you!!!
    Nikki

12. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Nikki
    They may take offense at that comment.
    Haha.
    I will have to see when the photo was taken to answer that question.
    I have to admit.
    That is my bad side. I will have to make sure I turn around for photos in the future.
    Mikey

13. NASAAN101

Mikey!
    that's a good photo!!! Why would they!! I just hope you four are able to come over for my Brithday in June, if we cant do a battle, I'm going to talk to mom about doing a big Get together here!! I know they Really went to meet me, And i would love to meet them and Karen!!!
    Nikki

14. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

Sooo...Someone did some horse trading with Mikey for his Mogador....:D

15. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

Hi everyone, have never posted on this site before, I have began building a 1/96 scale Scharnhorst, specifically to play with Mikey's Straussberg. I would like to see if anyone else out there is building anything in 1/96, I am planning on having this boat combat ready before the end of this season. Hope to see you guys on the water.

16. NASAAN101

Guys,
    There two Boats I'm looking at in the 96th Scale! US Light cruiser Atlanta and/or Juneau or the Gearing Class Destroyer! Atlanta/Juneau are 67inches, or the size of a scharnhorst in the 144th scale and Gearing is 48inches long!!! but i have the Plans for gearing!!! But what would be easyer to battle in this scale??
    Nikki

17. Anachronus

Nikki, we really don't know which would be easier to battle in this scale. One of the reasons 1/96 was chosen was to make smaller units like the Gearing more playable. Of the two the Gearing would be my pick as the Atlanta lacks torpedoes. The bb sized shot will not have too much of an impact on a heavily armored ship, but the 1/4" torpedoes will.

18. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

Nikki, I'd suggest staying with just the one scale right now before trying to work in two different scales. Get comfortable with 1/144 and get a ship or two running in that scale before starting a new project -- you don't want to spread your time and resources too thin.

19. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

The first Atlanta class had 8x 21" torpedoes, which can be seen here (http://www.navsource.org/archives/04/051/0405104.jpg) to the left of the rear wing turrets. The second Atlanta class, did not have torpedoes. That being said, stick with your LST & AD Nikki. Worry about other projects after you've gotten building & running those two down.

--Chase

20. NASAAN101

Guys,
    I was Just wondering!!!
    Nikki