Anti-Ship mines that do damage to the ship

Discussion in 'Research and Development' started by donanton, Sep 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

No one would seriously put their model ship in that sort of danger. i know i wouldnt

2. donanton

donanton Member

Toss some dry ice bombs in when the battle starts? :)
    I wouldn't suggest it. I would love to see it though.

3. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

The other problem with these air bags I am told that they do not work underwater. I am going to experiment with big ball lever valves and put PVC pipes under water. If it works and capsizes a vessel I have a way to incorperate this into our game. The string mines were voted out of the WWCC this next year. Might as well start thinking of something else.

4. totaldestruction

totaldestruction Active Member

Air bags are extremly powerfull, you realize they use explosives to fill up so rapidly lol.

5. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

How about a device that floats around just below the surface of the water, and any time a ship bumps into one of the buttons on the side, a sharpened 1/4 inch rod extends, and then is retracted. This action would continue as long as the ship is in contact with the button. A battery operated device would cycle the rod at 60 times a second.
    A short antenna would protrude from the top of the device and would be above the surface.
    By pulling on this antenna, the device would be rendered inactive for safe removal from the water.
    Yes, I have been working on designs for this device. It has six buttons in a ring and a ¼ inch spike between each button.

6. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

No idea what your talking about.
    Id love to see some designs (im a visual guy more so) so that i could understand. What is the purpose of this device?

7. Knight4hire

The purpose? The sharpened rods would oscillate in and out sixty times a second. So it would be like a sewing machine stitching ¼ inch holes in the side of a hull below the waterline. Hit this mine and your ship is going down!
    Will try to post some of my rough drafts in the near future.

8. Knight4hire

[​IMG]
    Here is a rough draft of what I am working on.
    This is only a side view.
    From the above view you wold be able to see all six rods and the contact buttons between them.

9. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

That's wicked. I assume you'd have some way to safely disarm retrieve this device from a distance before anyone goes out in to the pond?

10. Knight4hire

That ring on top. When pulled, it breaks the connection with the battery. A cotter pin is then inserted into a hole in the rod that would be exposed only when the rod is in the full extended position to prevent the rod from being depress by accident and arming the mine.
    How it works:
    When the side of a floating object presses against one of the firing pins hard enough to cause it to make contact with the contact plate, an electrical current energized the coil which causes all of the rods to fully extension.

Once full extension is reached, electrical contact is broken and the return spring brings the rods back inside of the mine and once again make contact with the electrical system. If the unfortunate ship is still pressing the firing pin, then the process will continue until the ship is able to move away from the mine.

Now then, will the mine have enough mass so that the sharpened rods will penetrate a ship’s hull or will the rods push the mine away from the ship?

May have to add an anchor weight under the mine to hold it in place so that it could do some damage.

Every second that a ship is in contact with the mine it would be getting hit sixty times a second!
    [​IMG]

11. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Knight, how is it going to oscillate? is that coil supposed to be a built-in solenoid piston?

12. Knight4hire

I did not show the wiring.
    When the piston hits the top, the electrical connection with the battery is broken.
    So when the return spring brings the piston down, it will make contact with the battery wire again.
    The circuit will only be complete if something is pressing one of the firing pins down.

13. NickMyers

So to disarm this thing, some brave soul has to row up along it, put their hand into the water, grasp a small ring and pull it up and slip in a cotter pin, all while not bumping the hand-stabbing-causing sensors? I'm just concerned that you're going to drive a 1/4inch rod through your hand at 60times a second in less than ideal conditions...

14. totaldestruction

totaldestruction Active Member

couldnt you make it blunt so as to protect whoever is retivieng it? it would just be small bumps to them.

15. Knight4hire

The mine is not to be grabbed. To remove the mine from the water, grab the ring on the de-arming pin. This will de-activate the mine as it is lifted out of the water. Once de-armed, then the cotter pin is installed.

16. Knight4hire

I was thinking of using a stick with a hook on the end to pull the mines out of the water.

17. Knight4hire

I see that my rough draft is small. One thing that is in the draft that is hard to see is a green band on the dis-arming pin. Pulling the Dis-arming pin far enough to expose the green band is the indication that the mine is now dis-armed, and the cotter pin can be installed to make it safe to handle.

18. NickMyers

So is the plan that the weight of the device itself is sufficient to pull the pin as you lift it from the water by the loop?

19. Knight4hire

That's right.

20. Knight4hire

I want to take every step to insure that no one finds out what this could do to a human hand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.