Anti-Ship mines that do damage to the ship

Discussion in 'Research and Development' started by donanton, Sep 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Superarp

Superarp Member

why not have some kind of a barbed grapplin hook? Or just plan a lot of hooked lines that tangeled ships up when they were close enuff to get hit by the piton rods?

2. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

That sounds dangerous to handle!
    I want to build something that will sink a ship.

3. Superarp

Superarp Member

like a deadly whirling lawnmower blade of doom fixed to the bottom with batteries on land and a wire that goes out? that way to remove it, u just cut the power and pull it out.

4. JKN

JKN Member

This is what I think about the lawnmower blades.
    Better of dropping a depth charge from a cessna:
    1 depth charge would roll the ships over if not break them in half or atleast crush the hull.
    2 it would be safer.

5. totaldestruction

totaldestruction Active Member

That sounds quite dangerous lol? also, how would the ships hit it if it was at the bottom + It could get entangled in weeds/foot cut hazard. I think that we would need something small anyway, not a massive lawnmower blade. It would be nice if you had something that could dig into the ship (almost like a fishing hook but not sharp) so that it would have to take a rip to escape unless they stayed stationary. maybe. Just a thought thats meh. I cant think of anything else right now.

6. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that at least part of a mine's purpose is to be concealed, as well. A whirling lawnmower blade (and many of the other suggestions here) aren't very sneaky at all. You might as well put out some anchored buoys and say "don't sail here".

7. Superarp

Superarp Member

no, i was using lawnmower as an anology, just mabye 2-3 inches in diameter, and fixed to the bottom with its axis but reeally about 1 inch below the surface. If u streamlined t, the surface disruptuin would be unnoticable.

8. Knight4hire

Still working on my idea.
    I am using hearing aid batteries to power the coil.
    The mine keeps getting bigger! UGH!

Back to the drawing board again...

9. totaldestruction

Why not put the batteries in the mines weight with the string becomeing a wire that goes to the mine. :D

10. Knight4hire

In my design, the batteries are the ballast.
    But that is a thought. Have a remote battery pack to power a string of mines....
    That way I can arm/disarm the whole string of mines at the battery pack, instead of one at a time.
    Interesting... Thank you.

11. totaldestruction

Your welcome :D

12. fastgunner 95

fastgunner 95 New Member

what if you have a mousetrap type contraption that has a trigger sticking up that the ship would hit, causing a spike to swing up into the ship and a buoy to be deployed for recovery?

13. Knight4hire

Took a break from the Bis / Tirps build.

For a good punch I found that I needed more power.
    Thus forced me to put the batteries in the anchor.
    The anchor line is the wires from the battery pack to the mine.

The only part that is above the surface of the water is a short rod with a small hoop on the end.
    Pulling on the rod diables the mine and is the way it is recovered after the sortie.
    Thus no one should be grabbing the business end of the mine.
    The bullet shaped projections will sting, but will not punchure the skin.

Will post some photos when I have a chance.

14. Ebaneser

Ebaneser New Member

I'm new to this but if you added dull spikes on the mines they could probably damage the hull as well as wrap around the prop but would still be safe because the spikes are blunt. The ships would have to be travelling quite fast for the mines to actually pierce the hull.

15. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

I still don't understand why people think wrapping lines around people's props is fun or a good gameplay element. Maybe that comes from hanging up on too many lines, but at best its annoying, at worst its destructive.

16. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

If anyone showed up with mines, they could possibly battle, but I would not be on the water with them. Too many hazards already.

17. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

Yeah, theres already moss and various other aquatic plants that stop ships dead. I can't see how it would add to the fun factor.

18. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

The only way I could see mines adding to the fun would be if they were in line with the original idea of this thread. meaning they could shoot a nearby vessel. snagging line around a prop/shaft is just annoying. if you have mines that shoot then its just one more obstacle you must avoid similar to an enemy ship

19. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

This thread was originally meant strictly for Big Gun. Our 1st post Necromancer resurrected it from 4 years ago.

20. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Perhaps we should rebury it and let it rest in peace.
    Edit: I am locking this thread, if anyone feels that have something to contribute to it that has not bee expressed already, please PM me or open a new thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.