Anti-Ship mines that might sink a ship.

Discussion in 'Research and Development' started by PetrolHead951, May 7, 2014.

1. PetrolHead951

PetrolHead951 Member

From what I've read about mines used in RC naval combat they sound pretty boring. What if there is a mine that looks like a mine going off, and if used correctly could sink a ship? I'm thinking of a CO2 canister anchored to the bottom with a pin to puncture it, rigged up to a means of triggering it from shore, and a little float to mark its location. If a ship runs over the float, and someone ashore triggers the mine then a large bubble of gas bursts to the surface and lifts the ship up. The ship then crashes back down into the water, maybe even far enough to submerge one end of the ship. If the bow goes under with the ship at speed then I can see a large amount of water flooding in through the decks potentially sinking the ship. It could also be done with a hose anchored to the bottom and a tank with a valve on shore. Opinions?

2. PetrolHead951

PetrolHead951 Member

These mines would be purely defensive and would have to be deployed before the battle.

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

You couldn't release enough gas all at once from a paintball-sized CO2 bottle to cause a sink.

It's good to think of new ideas, but the way to sink ships is using other ships. It's a lot more fun than hoping someone runs over a mine.

4. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

Ha! What a interesting idea. I don't think it would sink or damage ships, but it could privide big spashes and some more excitement to the battle. I'm thinking it could enhance the spectator experience without impacting the battle.

5. PetrolHead951

PetrolHead951 Member

You could give it a point value if you hit a ship with it. You'd just have to have a judge to watch for it.

6. PetrolHead951

PetrolHead951 Member

Would a cinder block hold a fully inflated balloon under water? That might provide enough air.

7. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

A battleship can be 30+ lbs. How much do you think you need to shove that up and out of the water?

8. PetrolHead951

PetrolHead951 Member

I was thinking that mine damage can be handled by larger ships, but something like a destroyer might sink. It would look really cool even if it didn't do any damage.

9. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

I highly doubt it would even sink a destroyer. The mass of air coming from the balloon wouldn't be concentrated enough to flip a destroyer. It would all go around the hull. :)
    Another point is, in the amount of time of designing, building and redesigning, and more building, you could have built a ship that would do much more damage than the mine.

Like previously noted, the best way to sink boats it to use one. :)

10. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

How about a 8 cuin accumulator with 150 psi in it and a J series quick exhaust valve. Dump the pressure on the feed and a big bubble of air escapes. Looking intense:
    [​IMG]
    Right on target for a 144 scale tugboat:
    [​IMG]
    No problem:
    [​IMG]
    If it can't sink a tugboat, there's no way it's going to affect a warship.

11. PetrolHead951

PetrolHead951 Member

Sure looks cool.

12. Hovey

Hovey Admiral (Supporter)

Looks really cool, but what does it add to BB's slugging it out and sinking each other? That is the core of this. In R/L mines are a cheap and effective way to deny the enemy use of a waterway. But detecting and clearing them is not something anyone would call fun. And avoiding them certainly isn't either. Realism? Standing watch is certainly more realistic but I sure don't want to have to do that. So how does mines make it more fun for everyone?

13. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

^+1

The hobby is about ship-on-ship combat. Go visit the IRCWCC Nats in MD next month, Matt... you'll love it and it's right next door!

14. Nibbles1

Nibbles1 Well-Known Member

Have you tried mines with a string with two spikes on the end. A 30 knot warship comes along and the mine snags and puts two holes in it.

15. Nibbles1

Nibbles1 Well-Known Member

spike ----------string------------------spike
    --------------ship goes here--------------------

16. Julian Barbera

Julian Barbera Active Member

I don’t think the spikes would have enough force to puncture a ship, our model ships just don’t go that fast.

17. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

During my time in the WWCC we experimented with numerous methods to integrate mine warfare to the game. We tried entangling strings, submerged cannons, bursting balloons, and everything else we could think of.
    NONE OF THEM WORKED.
    Not a single method contributed to anybody's enjoyment of the game in any way. Instead it was one of the most divisive and controversial subjects the entire time mines were in the rules, causing massive player frustration and burning up motors. We voted them out for good reason.

18. Selley

Selley Active Member

Oh well you don’t know until you try

19. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

I've always held that there are some things you can think about and decide to walk away from without trying.

Anvil_x and WillCover like this.
  20. WillCover

WillCover -->> C T D <<--

...usually things that involve gravity and sharp objects...

Anvil_x and thegeek like this.