Any merit to designing a "generic" ship?

Discussion in 'Construction' started by TheMackster, Oct 11, 2008.

1. TheMackster

TheMackster Member

What I mean is, there are so blasted many different cruisers and battleships, etc. out there with so many different hull shapes and weird little bulges and casements and stringers possible.

Would it be possible to get the fast-gun clubs to approve a very simply built "generic" cruiser and battleship for general use?
    And I mean call it "generic" too, available to both Axis and Allies for use.

I mean make them flat bottomed, straight sides (no bulges, etc.), twin rudder, four shafts, 24-sec/3 unit(CA) and 26-sec/5 unit(BB) that are dead easy to build and start off with. Maybe simply modify the existing plans for the nearly generic treaty cruisers and older battleships (think British or Japanese).

Or, LOL, is this a complete time-waster of an idea? I think odd thoughts when I'm tired.

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Just say 'NO' to NASCAR :)

Not pounding on you, Mackster, I just feel that the different flavors of ships is part of the fun.

3. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Yea, as we all know, NASCAR isnt a sport.

And while it does have merit, the hobby is also about taking a ship, and using it, with its advantages and disadvantages, and building something unique. A good idea, but maybe misplaced. Thats why some people are working on the rookie ship project

4. TheMackster

TheMackster Member

Yeah, the rookie ship project is what gave me the idea for a generic ship.

5. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

I would say that I have better odds of winning the lotto three days in a row and then having a solid gold asteroid land in my back yard than getting the various fast gun clubs to allow generic ships.

As much as a generic ship would be loved by the first time gamers, the scale folks would balk at it.

Besides, there are so many ships that a more palpable approach, and almost as easy for the beginner, would be to pick one axis and one allied ship good for beginners in the fast gun clubs and get detailed instructions/parts list made for them.

6. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

I like the Nascar reference!!! I want to build individual ships, no generic ones please. There is no perfect ship for everyone so build what you like or it won't hold your interest.

7. TheMackster

TheMackster Member

LOL! That sounds like a resounding NO!!!!!!!!!! to the idea of generic ships.

See what 3-4 drinks and staying up late can do to your mind? :)

8. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

That'll change anyone's mind. and yea, i wouldnt have expected any less.

9. sarges_heroes2003

sarges_heroes2003 Member

I prefer scale ships my self. some thing it adds to the game when your ship is approaching another (in battle) and you know its class 3 ship but can't be certain which is the better ship, yours? or his?
    It plays into this list you develop in the back of the mind. its my ok to shoot list and the other is "run! RUN! stay away!" kind of lists. you know like a ship that can simply whip the pants off yours and one you can't help but shoot at cause its just sitting there practically begging for it. :)