Any near Atlanta GA

Discussion in 'Southeast Attack Squadron' started by ts14, Nov 22, 2014.

1. ts14

ts14 New Member

The title pretty much says it all. I 'm new, and just wanted to go to an event near me to see what it's like.

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

There are a bunch of guys in/near Atlanta! Try contacting VVAholic on these forums, he's one of them. Battling is more or less low-key/dead for the winter now, but build sessions go all winter long :)

3. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Strange folks from New Orleans and Canada have been known to show up at Tug's. Can we interest you in the glory of armored cruisers? :woot::):D

4. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Hi TS14, where are you located in relation to Atlanta (west side, north side, etc...)
    There is an active group of us, but like Tugboat said we are in the winter build session.

5. ts14

ts14 New Member

I'm on the northwest side of Atlanta, near Marietta.

6. Lou

Ok, not too far from me. We are in the winter build session and getting ships ready for next year, so this is the perfect time to be looking at the hobby. Didn't see anything on your age, so while being above 16 and having access to a car will help, if you get your parent involved you can still battle.
    We can really help you build any ship so no worries on doing it right, but there is some cost involved in getting a ship on water.

7. ts14

ts14 New Member

I know it costs a lot so I'll save up during the winter and then maybe have one ready by the time the ponds "thaw". As far as building goes I would probably need some more information but I've built models and things before so I should be set to go, unless building a ship is far different from building models.

Thanks for helping me out!

8. Lou

I would suggest the Northamption class cruiser for a starter. We have molds made for the superstructure (hard foam, lightweight and easy to repair), hull is available from Strike and I have a parts list with associated cost.

9. Tugboat

And Lou left out the best reason to build a Northampton. They're GREAT looking ships. The only real reason to build a given ship :)

Anachronus likes this.
  10. Lou

Ha! Actually my winter build is a second Northampton to use as a loaner boat. Will document the build process on this site, most everything is already in the shop so it should be an easy build. Strike hull and fiberglass deck with two "death stinging power sucking ship board fire" cannons.

Tugboat likes this.
  11. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

A caveat von Tugboat, you left out "for a ship that is not an Armored Cruiser". Please fix that. :) :D ;)

Tugboat likes this.
  12. Tugboat

Well, you could kind of build it as an armoured cruiser... just kinda make it a foot shorter, add 2 inches of beam, 4 more smokestacks, and add a ram bow :) Easily done.

Anachronus and NickMyers like this.
  13. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

Old thread I know, but it just so happens that I am in Atlanta at the moment and was hoping to meet some of the members here. Pm me if you know how to reach any of them. I sent vvholic a message but he's been off the site since the 18th so not sure if he will see it before I leave on Sunday.

14. Tugboat

Build session next Sunday (10APR2016) in Statesboro!