Anybody Near Athens, GA?

Discussion in 'General' started by Anvil_x, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

Hey,

I'm in town until Jan 2nd. anybody or any planned events in the area? Building a wood Texas back home in AK and would love to get a gander at some boats and pick some brains.

2. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

@Lou that's towards your neck of the woods isn't it?

3. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

its about an hour away, but close enough to come down to see some boats.

4. Anvil_x

cool beans, mind if I swing by sometime this week/weekend? Also, I trade sourdough for knowledge. I brought my start from AK and have been baking up a storm

5. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Heh, too bad you weren't up North. My mom would love some sourdough start (tried starting her own multiple times but it never seemed to turn out right) and I'd be happy to furnish any knowledge I might have. Maybe even send you home with one of my homemade cannons. Oh well. :)

6. Anvil_x

I'll check the King Arthur bread book and see if I can dry out a batch when I get home. It travels pretty well in live culture too, but it'd need to get there fast.

7. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

i found i couldn't work and bake bread fast enough to keep up with a live starter
    too bad, it made great bread and a fantastic chocolate cake

8. Anvil_x

I have two; one at home that just sits on my counter in a little camping pot, and another that I use relatively often and bring when I travel. I've discovered that all of the instructions about babying sourdough are silly. Sourdough is a hardcore organism. I've forgotten to feed my counter one for months at a time, and it still performs after I pour off the alcohol and give it a wake-up hit of flour. letting a nice layer of alcohol build up over the top will send the yeast into a dormant state, so it'll keep for up to a year with the booze blanket.
    Some of the more hardcore guys back home drink the alcohol. They're insane. but I think it'd be fine if you ran it through a still first.

If you fired up another starter, give it no mercy. That way the weak yeasts will die off and the stronger wild varieties will survive. Just don't freeze it or overheat it.

9. Anvil_x

also, I've got a pretty rad small recipe that prevents all the feeding and other hogwash. I keep my oft-used sourdough in a dough state, and just rip the whole thing apart and add it to the fresh dough. If I am not using it, ziploc bag and in the fridge.
    I can send out the recipe etc. via PM if anybody wants it.

10. S-116

S-116 New Member

Good morning
    Yes I live in Athens and we may be able to meet up, drop me a line lets see what happens
    KTM30600@gmail.com
    Bill

11. Anvil_x

Cool beans, I'll send you a line once I get back from the grocery store

12. Anvil_x

The christmas trip bore fruit!

Got to spend an hour with John, and see his neat-o little Fletchers. He completely sold me on getting a pair of Gearings in the near future, so it looks like I'll have a nice pair of boats for friends interested in the hobby soon.

Here's the pics. Those boats are awesome.
    PC300005.JPG PC300006.JPG PC300007.JPG PC300008.JPG PC300009.JPG PC300011.JPG PC300012.JPG

(Look at this cool case!!! John puts everything, including his DD in there)
    PC300013.JPG
    PC300014.JPG PC300015.JPG PC300016.JPG PC300017.JPG PC300018.JPG PC300019.JPG PC300020.JPG

Beaver and Lou like this.