[AOS] L'Ocean - French 118 gun [Was: USS Pennsylvania]

Discussion in 'Age of Sail' started by glaizilla, May 7, 2014.

1. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

I have had some difficulty at different stages of construction, this my first attempt at an AOS ship, but the model is nearing completion. I might have to outsource some of you fine gentleman's ability at 3d printing for a ships name, and some leafing in gold. I took some cues from Mark's Constitution kit bullwork(?) in trying to figure out the best way of reproducing the effect in the bow. I might try brass straps to hold the yards on, or some sort of pinion fastened to the mast, for the yard arm to articulate with, I will wait for more feedback before proceeding.

2. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

An easy way to make the yard to mast connection is screw eyes, like used for pictures. Place one into the mast where the yard needs to go. on the second one, use a pair of pliers to open up the eye part just enough that it will slip over the mast eye. Screw the opened one to your yard and hang it on the mast. :)

I'll see if the Requin pictures have a close up of it ...

Found it. Halfway down on page 2. Le Requin cebek (AoS) | Page 2 | R/C Warship Combat

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2017
  3. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

Thanks Mike, That looks pretty simple, and durable at the same time. I have begun making the various yards, and am debating on what type of material to use for sails.. I read somewhere that the ships in combat used as little sail as possible for maneuvering, to 1 prevent all their sails from being torn to pieces and two in order to free up more hands for combat. I am unsure as to which sails would be the most beneficial to run, any thoughts?

4. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

In the paintings and drawings I've seen of battles, the mainsails are always up, and the topsails are being used. But that's only in paintings. :)

5. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Any updates?

6. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

I have removed the first attempt at the stern galley. Wasn't satisfied with how it turned out the first time around. Found better plan set for this particular ship. Still not quite happy with it. I have been slowly arming it. Will try to post some pictures of it during the construction process. We have armed one ship with a multi barreled BB Indiana style cannon on each side. This ship however is armed with BC coil mag guns.