AOS ship plans

Discussion in 'Age of Sail' started by Beaver, May 28, 2013.

1. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

I've been reading all the posts on this new chapter of MWC, and I've been wanting to do a ship for a while now. Sort of a side project while I work on my Suffren.
    One thing has stood in my way, I can't find any plans for a ship. I thought that maybe you guys would have some that I could copy or download.
    I'm looking to build something likea frigate.
    Any tips on building these suckers?
    Thanks,
    Beaver

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

There are plans, we can help you. But finish Suffren first!

3. Beaver

Finish Suffren first, Finish Suffren first, Finish Suffren first!!!
    It'll be hard waiting to finish the Suffen so I can build one of these beauties.
    I was looking on google for ship plans and found some for an American privateer ship, Rattlesnake.
    After its brief service for the Americans, it was captured by the British. I don't know if it would be an American ship or a British, or it could be one of those flip flop types.
    Other than that, it's a pretty ship in all.
    Beaver

4. Tugboat

www.all-warship.com has many plans, but they need to be scaled.

5. Beaver

I can't seem to find that site. I've enjoyed looking at your HMS Minerva. How is she coming along?
    Beaver

6. Tugboat

She's on a shelf right now. I need to get her up and running. But the 3D printer just arrived and I'm assembling it.

7. Beaver

Aww, new toy for the shop. I really like the looks of the Rattlesnake; she'll probably be my first ship when I build one. Would she be American, or British?
    Also, in Aos combat who's against whom, as in what countries are enemies?
    Thanks,
    Beaver

8. Beaver

I did a Delft-Ship model of the Rattlesnake, and this is what I came up with. It's not perfect, but it gives me an idea of what it will look like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is actually my first Delft-Ship model that has turned out to look like something.
    Beaver

9. Tugboat

I wonder if it can be imported into sketchup? How wide and tall is the hull?

10. Beaver

It's 5.58 in at the scale beam, I'll have to look to see how tall it is. At what point do you want me to measure the height?
    Beaver

11. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

What a great-looking little ship! I love the look of its tumblehome sides and three-mast rig. I sure hope the hull can be used in Sketchup. I am just learning how to use that program now.

OTOH, the Rattlesnake is a bit on the small side for an armed sailing warship. What does Delftship say about its estimated displacement? All I've found online is its "tons burthen". Given its size, you may have a hard time fitting in cannons and CO2 alongside the running gear. Worse, you may have a hard time finding the weight to properly ballast the ship after adding the cannons. Masts and rigging are heavy, and you'll need a lot of weight in the keel bulb to keep this ship upright. Or you'll spend a lot of time sailing with Tops'ls alone.

12. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Tons berthen is actual weight versus displacement weight. It was commonly used for ships until the mid-late 1800s.

What is the dimensions of a 1:48th scale Rattlesnake? The Le Requin cebek I built was on the small side and space is a premium in it.

13. Beaver

Thanks,
    It's 22.31in long, and 5.58in wide. As for displacement I can't find out how to calculate it using Delft.

This link has a lot of information on her dimensions: http://www.awiatsea.com/Privateers/R/Rattlesnake%20Massachusetts%20Ship%20%5BClark%5D.html
    Beaver

14. Tugboat

The height from keel to caprail, what is it? :)

15. Beaver

At the stern it's 5.5in, at the bow it's 4.1in. What are you going to do with it on Sketchup?
    Beaver

16. Tugboat

Heh. Play with it.

17. Beaver

Keeping me in suspense, aye! I'll just have to be patient and wait. :)
    Beaver

18. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

At 22.31" long, it definitely seems small. In fact, it's about the same size as my 1:96 scale USS Constitution. The site you linked to lists 199 tons displacement. Assuming that is actual mass and not a cargo capacity, it scales down to about 4lbs. That's fine for a sailing model, since you can put much of that weight into the keel. But for a combat model, it's probably too light. Assuming it's right, of course. You can check the displacement in Delftship. If you go to "calculations", you can select the "design hydrostatics". This will tell you all sorts of neat data about your ship, including displaced volume and actual displacement. If you used the scale dimensions, you will then have to convert to pounds then divide by scale cubed. If you used model dimensions, you'll have an incredibly small decimal in tons, which probably introduces some rounding error.

Have you considered HMS Surprise? 32.25" long, 7.925" wide, should make for a much more weight-forgiving model. Also, as a 5-rate frigate, it is a very generic hull that can fight for any side. That might actually make for a very good kit ship. Hmmm....

19. Tugboat

Hmmm...

20. Beaver

Hmmm....