AOS ship plans

Discussion in 'Age of Sail' started by Beaver, May 28, 2013.

1. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

It occurs to me that I have two different sets of plans for HMS Surprise...
    edit: Just dug up a possibly better beginner boat. The 20-gun Sloop/Post Ship Mirny has a much simpler hull shape, single deck without steps, and is only a little tiny bit smaller than the Surprise. Actually, she's probably better-suited to a fiberglass hull than wooden. I'll try to get the plans up in the files area.
    edit 2: http://www.rcnavalcombat.com/Portals/0/Users/Kotori87/Mirny.zip
    http://www.rcnavalcombat.com/Portals/0/Users/Kotori87/hms_surprise_combined.pdf
    http://www.rcnavalcombat.com/Portals/0/Users/Kotori87/surpriseplans.jpg

2. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

I like the Mirny a lot better than the Surprise. Is it the same one that went to the Antarctic? I should do a Delft- Ship model of her hull. I have one question about AoS combat, which countries are enemies?
    I went to design hydrostatics on Delft, and where it said displacement there were no measurements just zeros. I don't know what's wrong.
    Oh, I almost forgot, what is the Mirny's dimensions and weight?
    Beaver

3. Kotori87

Yes, Mirny is the Russian ship that visited Antarctica. In scale, she works out to be 32.8" LOD, 7.825" beam, and 3.7" draft. If Wikipedia's article is correct, her displacement scales down to about 10.5lbs. As a 6th-rate ship of 20 guns, she can be armed with up to 8 guns and 400 rounds, although I would probably arm only four guns for simplicity.

The cool thing about AOS is that since it covers such a wide time period and so many different wars, just about every nation fought with and against almost every other nation. Plus a lot of ships were taken as prizes and fought on several sides, and there are also letters of marque and pirates. So you can build whatever ship you want, and not worry about teams. If you want to sail for a different nation, just change your flag and the stripes on your sides. Everyone is familiar with Nelson Yellow, but did you know the Spanish wore red stripes at Trafalgar? White was common among many nations and I have also seen green, blue, and almost every other color you can imagine.

4. Beaver

Thanks for all the info Kotori!
    Now with arming only four guns, do I get 2sec rate of fire instead of 4? I saw that you guys were discussing that on the rules page.
    So many ships to choose from, but I'm liking the Mirny a lot. I wonder what Tuggy's doing with the Rattlesnake on Sketchup?
    Beaver

5. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I got the idea from Rattlesnake, but I can go bigger. I want to see if I can print hull sections on the 3D printer that is being assembled on the desk next to me. 5" long sections can be printed, up to 8" x 8" in section. It's realistically a ways off, as I've got several people wanting superstructures, turrets, etc. But it's something I'm thinking about.

6. Kotori87

The rules for under-arming a ship are still not decided on. Several possibilities there. Halving the rate of fire is one possibility. We could also fire two shots per trigger pull.

I have thrown together a rough version of Mirny in Delftship. Currently working on improving the accuracy, then I'll add on the side and stern galleries. I am having some trouble adapting to using Sketchup. It does all its circles in radius, and I am used to working with diameter. Is there any way to change that setting? It's incredibly annoying to divide every critical design dimension I've ever learned by two.

7. Beaver

So what do you plan on doing with the hull sections? :doze: Has there been a AoS battle yet?
    I 'm looking forward to building and battling one these ships.
    Beaver

8. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

There has not been a shooting battle yet, just training battles with the half-size ships that Kotori and Gascan built.

If I print out 5" sections of a hull in ABS, I can join them pretty seamlessly with a slurry of ABS in acetone, making one big long hull from ABS.

9. Kotori87

10. Beaver

Cool idea, Tug. Are you then going to mold a fiberglass hull from it? That's a very neat video, Kotori! I'm going to have to finish my Suffren soon.
    I'm not making up my mind yet, but the Mirny looks like a green light.
    Beaver

11. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Gah. Now I have to get the Requin's rudder servo replaced and get it back on the water. :)

12. Beaver

I really liked your Le Requin Xebec build. Are there any battle ready ships complete?
    Beaver

13. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

At the moment, there is zero battle ready ships. Only one has been on the water, albeit briefly.

14. Beaver

I guess everything has to start somewhere. The first battle will sort of be like the first dogfight during WWI.
    Beaver

15. Kotori87

That's a very interesting analogy, given how similar sailing a ship is to flying a WWI plane. The same concepts of kinetic and potential energy apply, except in one it's altitude and speed and the other one it's upwind and speed. Not to mention how a wily captain can wring as much out of his square-rigger as an ace pilot could out of his rotary-engined kite. Fortunately I've been studying up on both :)

16. Beaver

That's a very interesting analogy also. Have you started on your Constitution yet? I want to finish my Suffren soon so I can start on the Mirny.
    Beaver

17. Kotori87

http://www.frigateunicorn.org/hire-unicorn/modern-plans#
    I just stumbled across these plans and they are beautiful. HMS Unicorn, a 46-gun frigate of the Leda class. Both she and her sister Trincomalee survive today, with Unicorn being the only known example of a British warship "in ordinary", aka the 1800's version of mothballs. Just right-click and save-link-as to add these wonderful plans to your free plans library :)

18. Beaver

Wow, those are nice! Now when you say "just right-click and save-link-as" does that mean its already in 1/48?
    Beaver

19. Panzer

Panzer Iron Dog Shipwerks and CiderHaus

That is a nice find! what a great historical story behind the Unicorn.

20. Kotori87

They are not scaled for 1:48 yet, but they are high resolution images. No need to click any special download links or try to re-draw the hull from pixelated, blurry lines. Scaling it is a simple exercise once you look up her dimensions.