AoS Shipbuilders

Discussion in 'Age of Sail' started by Tugboat, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

Tugboat: will do. I like all my fingers, hands, and other bits and pieces where they belong.

Warspite: James Island Park is a bit far for an after-school sailing trip, but looks good for a Saturday or Sunday trip. I'll take a look, especially if there are other sailors there.

2. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

The r/c sailing club sail on Sundays at James Island. They would probably be interested in the AOS ships.

3. Rhukatah

Rhukatah New Member

Rob Denler - Ingermanland 3rd rate, 14 guns
    This may be the same Russian 3rd rate that Greg is building.

4. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Hey, Tugboat, can you add me on the list?
    I've decided to go with the Russian Mirny, 6th rate post ship, with eight cannons.
    I just have to get it built now.
    Thanks,
    Beaver

5. radollar2000

radollar2000 Active Member

Hey guys, I think it would be really cool to build a sail boat, and if I build one it might as well be able to battle right!?! :) Anyway, I was thinking of trying to build something of Oriental persuasion. Now I know I have seen a picture of a sailing Junk warship. The problem is I can't remember where, much less find plans for it. I would be most obliged if someone could point me in the right direction. That being said, if I can't find any reference would anyone be offended if I built a Junk and then armed it with a reasonable number of guns?

6. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

I don't see why you can't build a Junk. I don't know if there were any that had any cannons. As for plans, these people have them for $22.

http://www.bestshipmodels.com/index.php?main_page=products_all&disp_order=4&page=5

Beaver

7. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

There was definately armed junks. :) Not only was there pirates that operated in the Asian seas, but many of the Chinese dynasties had fleets of junks from small to huge size. Wiki has a lot on them. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junk_(ship)
    There is not much documentation on how many cannons a typical junk mounted.
    As a side note, the Lorcha ship design was concieved as a pirate junk hunting ship. Using a junk rig mated to a weastern/european hull, the Lorcha was faster than a junk and kept the same ease of operation that the junk sail offers. Later in the 1800s, Lorchas were the favored ship for smuggling opium.

8. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

Now, THAT peaked my interest... entering odd ship research mode...subject: Lorcha...searching...

9. mike5334

It is amazing how much neat stuff one can pick up by following rabbit trails while doing research. :)

10. Jean Valjean

Jean Valjean Active Member

I probably shouldn't be thinking about it when I have barely started Jean Bart's hull, but when I finish, I want to make an AoS ship. I'm thinking of a French ship, that almost rhymes with Jean Bart. Any guesses?

11. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

One Fart?

12. mike5334

Welp, would be the Jean Bart, a 74 gun ship of the line? Or could be the Jean Bart, a 20 gun corvette?

13. Jean Valjean

It's not named Jean Bart, I said it almost rhymes with it.
    It's Jeanne d'Arc.

14. mike5334

I think Jean Bart rhymes with Jean Bart pretty well. Heh. ;)

15. Tugboat

Frigate, ship of the line, post ship? :)

16. Jean Valjean

The frigate, from 1820.

17. Jean Valjean

It would (Hopefully) be small, fast, maneuverable, hard to hit, and well armed.
    Another ship I like is the Scottish Michael, mostly because its Scottish. A bit on the large side, and not exactly Napoleonic though.

18. Jean Valjean

It would (Hopefly) be small, fast maneuverable, hard to hit, and well armed.
    Another ship I like is the Scottish Michel, mostly because its Scottish. A bit on the large side, and not exactly Napoleonic though.

19. Jean Valjean

Do you think it's a good ship?

20. Tugboat

I don't think it'd be a bad ship, in and of itself. So much with AoS depends on captain's ability vice a particular ship that it's hard to condemn a ship unless it's blatantly way to small to fit the gear in, or so huge that it's hard to use in lakes we battle in (or to transport; if it can't get to the lake, it's not a good boat).

A 52-gun frigate would do well fighting with or against ships like USS Constitution or HMS Minerva (my 50-gun frigate).

But like I said, captain ability will likely determine a lot of battles, since we're sail-powered. Which means the Kotoris will have the edge for a while, and Mike Mangus (who does RC sailboat racing, admittedly not in squareriggers). I really need to get busy on Minerva and get her sailing.