April Battle

Discussion in 'Southeast Attack Squadron' started by djranier, Apr 11, 2010.

1. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Well we just had a local battle here in Florida. Six boats on the water, not bad, none of the Georgia boys could make it. We had a few sinks, I was one of the first, lol, I thought that my pump had failed.
    But in reality, I had forgot which switch turned my pump on, took 40 belows, and down I went. Rick asked why I sunk, and I said that my pump failed, showing him my radio, turning the right gear switch on and off. He reached over, and said dummy, and hit the left switch, and she lit right off. Guess I'm getting old. We both use the same switch on our Futaba's for the pump.
    Bill brought his new Scharny he just finished Friday, except for the superstructure. It's a bit overweight, sits pretty low in the water, it sank a couple of times.
    They would not let Don and me be on the same side with our Duke's, so we ended up pounding on each other pretty much all day, but it was fun. We did 6 sorties total, and I did manage to sink Don the last sortie, but stayed out and fought some more, and ended up going down myself. It looks like 60 to 70 belows and on's seems to be what it takes to sink my boat, when I remember to turn the pump on.

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Excellent report. Even more excellent that now there's someone else in Region 3 who shows up without superstructure :)

I spray painted the pump switch on my radios RED. I don't need to get old to get forgetful.

I am definately going to buy one of the safety masks you and Don got. How'd they do for not fogging?

3. djranier

No fogging at all, zero. When we both sat down to work on the boats between sorties, I put on a clear pair of regular safety glasses, and those fogged up sitting at my work table.

4. Tugboat

That has always been my problem, 'cause I'm a sweaty bugger when I'm outside working. I am ordering a face shield today so I'll be fashionably protected for the May battle. I hope it doesn't get moved. I know the FL event could be a good recruiting tool, but I want a battle, and I have one of the doctors from work coming to try out battling.

5. zackcon2

zackcon2 Member

if luck preseeds me ill have my boat on the water also, i have many hopes!

6. djranier

Lets hope so Zack, I know you will have alot of fun when you do.

7. Tugboat

Zack, I won't be home next weekend (camping with scouts), but the weekend after that will be a build session. If you guys can get your batteries, we can do your electrical system, and also mount the rudder servo and put in battery racks. You NEED to be ordering gas system stuff really soon so you can get the ship ready for battle. You need a 3.5 ounce CO2 bottle and a regulator. Let me know your gun set up and I'll get you a list of Clippard parts that you'll need. Oh, you'll also need some servos. Nothing fancy, just regular $9 Futabas. 1 for rudder, 1 for throttle, 1 for pump switch, 2 for guns... so 5 total. If you guys have bought the Spektrum radio, it comes with little tiny servos that will be fine for the throttle and pump switch, but way to weak to fire guns and steer. So you'll still need 3 regular servos. I have a shipment of 10 regular servos coming in shortly, if you want we can work a deal on the remaining micro servos for regular size ones. (I use the micros in the DD and sub projects)

8. zackcon2

zackcon2 Member

where do you get your micro switches from?